Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally made Eli (2 year old standard) an appointment yesterday and dropped him off this morning to be nuetered! He had been such a good boy until these last few months. He's been mounting my 8 yr old pit bull constanly (she's spayed) , constantly has his nose up her rear, liking the girls pee up on the grass and recently marked twice in my house. Errrrr!!

So hopefully Im not too terribly late. I never had any intentions of breeding him but I had been putting off getting him nuetered for awhile now...long while. Anyhow, Ill be picking him up tomorrow morning and I hope such a normal daily procedure goes well.

I also wanted to ask, how long usually before I will see a drop in his testosterone level and that will be out of his system? I know its not overnight or anything. Im not sure that him being nuetered this late will help with marking in the house (may need to get a belly band) but I think he will be better about mounting are sweet Lotus. Eli's my first male dog we have actually kept and not placed. All our other dogs are females.

·
Registered
741 Posts
it usally takes a couple of months..... i hope he recovers wel from his op
todd i had done at 8 months as he was bering a nightmare and he has carmed down now

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I can give you my experience only. Its the hormones and habit.

Eli should be good to go in a few days and the habit will still be there....sorry, even though after a few weeks it will lighten up and he will be more "chilled" out it has been a routine thing that will have to be worked on BUT it will get better with time lol! I have done neuter and spay young and older and it pops up every once in a great while. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I was taught that it drops a great deal almost right away but that it can take 6 months or longer to work the rest of it out of his system.

Hope he recovers quickly ! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Ya, the main thing that irritates me is how he marked in the house twice. Its only at night though when he know's I wont see. He never does it when we are awake. He also wont mount Lotus when they are inside. Its only when I have my eye's off him outside. I may just have to potty them seperatly for awhile longer and see how he does.

I hate that rotten male dog behavior! He's such a good dog otherwise though. Well I should be getting a call soon letting me know he's out of surgery.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh I'm not sure that mounting thing will go away unfortunately. Boys will be boys I guess but Harry was neutered right after he turned 1 and I didn't notice much change at all. He never marked and still doesn't which is why he pees all over his legs.LOL

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thanks!

Ya, the main thing that irritates me is how he marked in the house twice. Its only at night though when he know's I wont see. He never does it when we are awake. He also wont mount Lotus when they are inside. Its only when I have my eye's off him outside. I may just have to potty them seperatly for awhile longer and see how he does.

I hate that rotten male dog behavior! He's such a good dog otherwise though. Well I should be getting a call soon letting me know he's out of surgery.
All will go well! :)

The marking will stop too.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
All will go well! :)

The marking will stop too.
Can you come over and make Harry forget the mounting thing?:fish: He did that when Ginger was here but he didn't do anything like that to Jasper. I don't know if that's because she was a girl or what but it was annoying and he could have been bitten pretty bad as she wouldn't put up with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Casey got done at 18 months on Oct 15. He was horrible for about 2 weeks humping everything in site at the dog park.. Now he only does it when he gets over excited like a dog fight near him or such

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I was in shock today when I learned that having my Teddy neutered will cost me $525. When I had my cat done about five years ago, I think I paid around $125. Have things changed that much in that length of time? Talk about inflation!

Teddy has been marking a lot (thankfully only outside and at Petco), but he's recently started humping the poor cat. Two more weeks and I'll make the appointment. I'll have to save up some money!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
$525 is insane xD

our vet charges
$60 for a boy cat
$70 for a boy dog
$80 for a female cat
$100 for a female dog

I do live in the middle of no where though xD
so that may explain the different prices lol

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Marian, is it possible that your vet is doing laser surgery now? There are a few vets here in my hometown who solely use lasers for all surgeries now and the prices have gone through the roof!! I know there was at least one vet who gave customers a choice of laser or traditional (scalpel), but most of the vets who HAVE lasers want to use them and charge for them so they can recoup the $$ they spent on the equipment. I'm anticipating about $150 for Lucy's spay next spring...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I don't know if they use laser surgery or not, but I called another vet hospital today and was quoted $600, just because he isn't a regular patient there and that includes an initial exam that would not have to be done at my vet's office.

They offer low cost neutering under a state sponsored program, but you have to either be low income or have a rescued dog. It's ironic that all of the low income dog owners in my neighborhood are Latino and seem to all be of the opinion that neutering a dog is the equivalent of castrating a human. I don't mean that to sound racist (and I hope it doesn't), it's just a cultural thing, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
It's ironic that all of the low income dog owners in my neighborhood are Latino and seem to all be of the opinion that neutering a dog is the equivalent of castrating a human. I don't mean that to sound racist (and I hope it doesn't), it's just a cultural thing, I think.
I watch Cesar Millan religiously and he says the same thing - in his native Mexico, he says dogs are simply not fixed - like EVER!! I think you're right - it's cultural...

The cost for neutering your dog, however, is ridiculous!! The only thing I can think of is it's the laser component... Maybe you should send Teddy to ME (heehee) I can probably get him done here for around $100-$150, but I cant' guarantee I can get him back to you - he may just get puppy-napped! :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
LOL - I'll let you know if I need to take you up on that offer. :)

I might check prices in the Nashville area. I could visit my parents and get Teddy fixed at the same time.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It's also a guy thing. I think men have a very hard time with neutering. I don't mean to sound sexist but there is something about looking at an incesion on the manhood of their dog that makes them squirm.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Goodness Marian that's expensive! We got Des neutered for about $150 (in Nashville, btw) and were able to order a urinalysis AND order a couple months worth flea & heartworm stuff ALL for about $400. :/ Sounds like your vets are really trying to squeeze some money out of you!!

My brother had that same "guy" attitude about Desmond getting fixed- he acted like HE was the one being neutered whenever we talked about it. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Marian, it's probably your area (NYC). Have you checked with the SPCA, they imply on Animal Planet that they offer lower cost spay/neuter. You might also look into going a little out of the area. Going even an hour or two out of the city could save you hundreds. Having it done when you visit your parents is also a good idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, I was going to ask if you lived in California! They charge out the wahzoo over there for vet services in some parts. I guess NYC shouldn't be a surprise for high costs either. I believe ours averages aroung $300 including pre anasthesia blood testing. It sounds like your doggie doesn't have *much* of a marking problem so maybe it will go away. Usually once a dog starts marking tho it doesn't stop after neutering. I have had dogs that were neutered before they started marking to start marking later in life depending on their personalities, and others who never were neutered who never marked. So hope for the best!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts