Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have one.

I am interested in seeing if anyone else has one for their dog(s). And what everyones thoughts are on these?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm probably going to be a minority here, but I do not like them. My biggest reason for having a fence is to keep my dogs safe. It's there, it's solid and it keeps them in and bad things out. An invisible fence has down sides:

If the battery in the collar goes dead, the dog can cross the line.

If a dog should cross the line and get shocked on the way out, then they may not come back and risk getting shocked on the way home.

A stray dog/animal can still come into your yard and attack your dog.

I know they have their good sides too, but I just won't risk my dog's safety.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably going to be a minority here, but I do not like them. My biggest reason for having a fence is to keep my dogs safe. It's there, it's solid and it keeps them in and bad things out. An invisible fence has down sides:

If the battery in the collar goes dead, the dog can cross the line.

If a dog should cross the line and get shocked on the way out, then they may not come back and risk getting shocked on the way home.

A stray dog/animal can still come into your yard and attack your dog.

I know they have their good sides too, but I just won't risk my dog's safety.

Just my thoughts...
Thank you. I'm leaning the same way you are........but willing to hear all

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
We have one for our two acres as we arnt allowed to have a real fence here. I like them for that fact that they give you another option to a real fence. I dont like it for the reasons listed above though.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Absolutely - if there were no other option, I would have an invisible fence. I just prefer a solid wall of protection - I'm just paranoid. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't like them at all, mostly for the reasons that AgilityIG listed. I have also seen them go really backwards too...
One time, a husky got out of his electric fence somewhere, and wandered into our neighborhood. He ended up crossing the line to someone ELSE'S electric fence, and got stuck inside that fence's barrier. He was stuck there for a few days. This husky was very aggressive and scared, which prevented my mom from coming near him to check his tags (the owners of the yard he got stuck in were on vacation at the time). My mom put a bowl of water out for him and tossed some hot dogs and eventually one of my other neighbors was able to get near him and check his tags (turns out the dog just hated women, but was fine with men). He was able to get home but I think that's just a little scary, how wrong they can go.

I would always go for a physical fence if possible, really. Electric fences just don't seem right to me. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
646 Posts
We just moved to a townhouse so don't have it anymore but before we had 3 acres and I loved it. My dogs were never left outside anyways but it gave me the chance to do work without having my eye on the dogs constantly.
I do not believe in leaving a dog outside unattended anyways so worked for me.It takes training you can't just put the collar on the dog and expect them to know what it means

1 - 8 of 8 Posts