Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Peggy a cooked egg a couple of weeks ago and she threw up the next morning. I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence, so I tried again yesterday and no throwing up, but within a couple of hours she started biting at her back feet and she has been scratching a ton since then: Her ears, sides, back-end, everywhere! We're both going a bit nuts, to be honest.

Does this sound like a food allergy to you?

There are so many variables in the environment, it's really hard to know what's dietary and what's not. We've recently had some dramatic weather changes and can smell things starting to bloom. She's also otherwise completely fine. Normal appetite. Normal poops. Just very on edge with all the itching.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I think it sound like an allergy to eggs too unless you can down some other allergy. Call your vet and ask if you can give her Benadryl type medication.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at her kibble ingredients and it does say "Dried Egg Product." But it's way down the list. Maybe not enough to trigger symptoms? Or maybe processed in a way that neutralizes the allergen?

Luckily she's calming down now, but she's very gassy. Eek. Poor thing keeps scaring herself. ?

I'll get an antihistamine from the vet in case this happens again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be given at a dose of 1 mg per pound.
It does sound like she is having some sort of allergic response, it could be the egg but it's not certain. Two instances with very different responses is not enough to pin point it as an egg allergy. If it was me I would avoid egg as much as possible (but not worry about the kibble) and then offer egg again in a month or two and monitor response.

·
Super Moderator
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be given at a dose of 1 mg per pound.
It does sound like she is having some sort of allergic response, it could be the egg but it's not certain. Two instances with very different responses is not enough to pin point it as an egg allergy. If it was me I would avoid egg as much as possible (but not worry about the kibble) and then offer egg again in a month or two and monitor response.
Thank you! That's what I'll do.

(Poor Peggy. She REALLY loved that egg.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts