Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello poodle friends! You’ve all been so wonderful and supportive throughout our poodle adventures - both on getting Ollie and in having to rehome Ella.

Well August 11 we are getting our new puppy from Ollie’s breeder. She is hand raising and says so far he is so sweet and lovable!

But we have only ever gotten 7 month old dogs. So I feel like I am completely starting over in the learning area and I have no idea what I’m doing!!!

Please spam me with all tips, suggested articles, whatever. For example:

- how do we socialize an unvaccinated pup — and we want to socialize it VERY well

- how do we handle sleeping arrangements / crating / puppy playpen / potty training stuff? With Ollie, he was old enough at 7 months that he could be crate trained all night when we got him. So I’m clueless! I don’t know what kind of set up we need!!

Thank you all in advance for your kind advice and support!

Ps: attaching most recent picture from the breeder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Honestly, I haven't had a puppy in 8 years so I am a bit fuzzy on that, but I just wanted to say he is adorable! Congrats :)

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I’m so excited for you. The puppy is absolutely adorable.

I have no suggestions regarding puppies because I got Babykins when she was almost a year old. I hope to be in your shoes in a few years getting a new puppy so I’ll be taking notes on the suggestions you receive.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
You can carry your pup in stores and in your neighborhood to allow meeting people. You will have Ollie, but you can also invite dogs who you know to be well mannered and fully immunized to help for socializing with other dogs.

You will probably want the crate in your bedroom so you hear the pup wake up and you will have to take the baby out to potty. I would just quickly take him out with a leash on and let him relieve himself and then bring him back and put him in the crate. Don't do much if any talking and don't play at all. Keep those trips for just potty business.

Play games to increase the baby dog's interest in following you around. That will set you up for being able to have a good recall among other things.

Most of all remember to have fun!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am also waiting for a puppy. I’ve been reading The Focused Puppy. I love how it breaks the “to do” list down: before pup arrives, first day, first week, first month, then larger groupings based on puppy developmental milestones. It reduces the worry of missing something crucial.

I am setting up a puppy play pen in my living room, and a crate in my bedroom (on a sturdy table so we can have midnight eyeball conversations: potty time? Okay). I’m not buying a food bowl, all food will come stuffed in toys, given during training, or just hand fed if I’m too worn out to be more creative.

I’ve also been buying toys- so fun!! It is hard to wait, but I’m trying to milk the whole experience of every drop of joy. It is awesome to be expecting a puppy! Everything about it is fun- except possibly picking a name. Getting everyone to agree to a name I like- well, it hasn’t happened yet ?

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
perhaps read fjm's sticky in this forum on puppy reality. she owns a toy and a papillon and is among the gentlest of trainers.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Congratulations on the new puppy! Keep a sense of humor, try to be calm and reassuring, and praise, treat and more praise for house training success. Have fun with it:)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Congratulations, he is adorable !

Every puppy is different, so it’s always a different strategy with every one. I’ve raised many, many puppies. There are general rules, but they always have to be adapted.

I say read on puppy raising as much as you can, and when you get your little one, go with the flow with what you’ve learned.

One piece of advice : decide where he will sleep and make that his comfy place from the start. If you start in the bedroom, it might be hard getting him out of there. Also, from the start, to make your puppy confident and independent, don’t give him any more attention that he will get the rest of his life. People get puppies, they stop working for 3 weeks, spend all their time with it, go back to work, and wonder why the puppy is distressed... From the start, have a routine which include time on his own, time in his crate, ect. Don’t always fuss over him (although it’s very hard), let him learn to play on his own (provide the necessary toys).

Last advice : enjoy it while it last !

·
Registered
307 Posts
Socializing includes taking him with you to places. Go to the vet's, early morning is good when the floor is still clean. Have him sit at the door, open, then tell him "in" and go in. He can climb on the scale, sniff around, maybe even go into an exam room. A couple of minutes is sufficient, then he sits at the door,...

Take him to people places rather than dog places, places with kids, with people of different colors, if possible. Introduce him to the visual of trash cans and bicycles. Teach him "in" and "out" of the car and that dogs in cars wear a seatbelt. Treat.

Train him to a whistle. A whistle will reach much farther than your voice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
10 wk old pup

There will be plenty of time to socialize a pup after all the inoculations are given. Check out the AKC website, good info there and then do all the reading you can do. A pup needs to go out every 2 hrs, upon waking up, and after play.
It’s a full time job for sure and you need to be around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The best advice we received for our now 5 month old mini Phantom was to take a small dog blanket with us to pick up our 8 week old puppy. We made sure to get the scent of the Mommy and several pack members on the blanket. That blanket was the only thing (besides staying up all night with the puppy) that would quiet him down at night.

And you will be amazed as to how intelligent the poodles are at a very young age...easiest dog to potty train I have ever had and they really want to please.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably a stupid question but I’m not seeing the Sticky post! I wonder if it’s because I’m on my phone. Could someone post a direct link to it for me?!

Thanks so much for all of the advice!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There will be plenty of time to socialize a pup after all the inoculations are given. Check out the AKC website, good info there and then do all the reading you can do. A pup needs to go out every 2 hrs, upon waking up, and after play.
Sorry, I disagree. I believe in the critical socialization window due to my experience with getting dogs at 8-12 weeks vs. 5 mos. and up. You've got to do everything in the first 16 weeks. Science has proven this.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, I disagree. I believe in the critical socialization window due to my experience with getting dogs at 8-12 weeks vs. 5 mos. and up. You've got to do everything in the first 16 weeks. Science has proven this.
I obviously have limited experience but we will DEFINITELY be exposing this pup to everything and anything from day one. In getting Ollie at seven months, he wasn’t socialized in the same way a family would, so he gets nervous at many things. Even though he was taken to every dog show and around lots of barking dogs, etc. it was still limited and therefore he has a nervous time in public or new situations. So I 100% agree with you. I’ll carry the pup everywhere and have everyone I possibly can pet him, hold him, etc. will take him on elevators, escalators, home goods, Lowe’s, Nordstrom, outside, etc. every shape, color or person, someone wearing glasses, hats, etc. I want this pup to be the most social dog. Maybe it will rub off on Ollie, haha!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts