Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Living in the south I battle fleas all year round but as a preventive I use Diatamatious Earth. When I can buy a box load I use the Hartz brand topical drops from Wal-Mart.

You will need to wash your dogs bedding and dog every ten days to help get rid of any fleas that one flea had spawned. Here is a site that has some good flea information.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
The only type of D.E. you can use on animals in the food grade and you can get it from feed suppliers. The kind used in pools is harmful to animals. I use it as a de-wormer and mix it in their food about once a month. Then on the dogs/cats them selves to keep the fleas away and I dust the yard with it as well. It also keep snakes away ;)

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I got a hold of a vet today and put some Frontline on him, she said since I could only find one and no evidence of others then that should take care of it. I hate putting that stuff on him, but I hate fleas more. It's suppose to be good for 3 months, by then everything will be frozen here, so I shouldn't have to worry till next spring. I'll have to decide whether to put him on a once a month tablet or try to treat the yard and hope for the best. I don't like putting insecticide on the lawn either though. He looks so pathetic, I haven't let him come back in the house yet. I know, bad mom. It's nice out today so he'll just have to deal till after the kids go to bed. I don't want them getting their hands in that stuff.

I won't use Hartz brand stuff my sisters cat almost died from the topical treatment and I met a lady today whose cat did die from it. It caused major neurologic problems.
There has been some reports of people animals having a bad reaction to Hartz but that can happen with any brand of medication. Did your sister use the one made for cats? I have used it for years on many dogs and have never had an issue. I have only used it once on the outside cats.

1 - 3 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.