Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, moose likes to sniff and eat OTHER animals poop. He leaves his alone but when we are on a walk and I`m not watching close he will start chowing down on any other creatures.

It wasn't that big deal until critters started leaving their bombs on our lawn and our own backyard become dangerous for him and us (ICK).

How do you stop this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eating poo

Wow that is a good one I have heard of dogs eating their own poo that is easy to stop. Are you sure It is not cat poo dogs love that. The only way I can think of is getting yo it first and putting a Little alum on it. Dog hate the taste of slum. After awhile he may think it all taste like that and leave it alone. you may also try some Bitter yuk. Hope he does not want to kiss you after his tasty poo treat....

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might have been cat poop.

I know hiking he LOVES horse poop. Horse poop isn't so bad as it's mostly grassy and earthy smell but normal poop :eek:

If I find it I put tobasco on what he can't chew or eat that works really well :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh no! Animals can be so gross sometimes! lol.

Bauer has gotten into the garbage a couple of times and he seems to enjoy licking poopy diapers clean... ugghhh... So nasty!! But I have never seen him even attempt to eat his or any other animal's poop. Hope the Tabasco works!

Jehn

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dog used to LOVE rabbit poo and it always would make her sick to her stomach. The only thing I could do was really watch her when she was outside and really scold her if she sniffed around it.

Now my new puppy that is nine months old now will eat her poo...gross! So I have been putting hot sauce on it and that works really well and I just bought a liver flavored treat that will deter her from eating it also. Seems to be working.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Some dogs get into the habit of eating poop. My last episode was swan poop. It is however a good idea to look at their diet and see if anything is missing. Dogs will eat poop when short of some nutrient or another. Do, talk to your vet. Other than that it is a training issue.
Eric.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Kitty 'chocolates' are the only poo that I can't persuade Molly to leave alone and since my son has 3 cats and 3 cat boxes I have to watch her like a hawk when I'm over there.....can't do much else I guess!
BTW.....hot sauce does't work with a dog that will eat mexican food Hahaha!!!! Molly was raised by a hispanic family..................I tried the bitter stuff too......I swear this girl has selective taste buds when cat poop is involved LOL! Other animal poop (possum,skunk and coyotes,& whatever else from our canyon) she just rolls in....vigorously!!!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Grace prefers Dead fish to roll in. A very persistent and delicious perfume. And she just LOVES chilli and spices.
Eric.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My dogs never touch dog poop, but they love deer pellets. Since they run free at least twice a day in a four acre meadow, it's impossible to keep them away from it. I asked our vet, who said his own dogs eat poop too. He said heartworm meds treat for intestinal parasites as well, so it isn't really a problem, other than the ick factor. I'd prefer to stop the medicine during cold weather, but, because of the deer, I keep the dogs on it year-round.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts