Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without exageration, Beckie eats 2-3 times more since she was spayed. She was not into eating at all, always waiting for treats instead of eating her kibble.

Right after her spay, she started eating her whole bowl early in the day and wanting more. I knew spaying could have that effect, but not so fast and so drastic !

Is this temporary or do I need to be really careful she doesn’t become overweight rapidly ?

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
It’s been many years since I had a pet spayed so I’m no expert.

She does need extra calories and nutrients for a short while to aid in healing. I wouldn’t rush to put her on a diet too quickly. Keep an eye on her and if she’s gaining weight, I would cut back in a week or two.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've really never had a issue of any female dogs I've had over eating after a spay. They always ate normally and they didn't gain extra weight either until they were much older and I attributed that to age. Perhaps she is eating more to aid in her healing process as mentioned, I'd give her two weeks then just feed normally.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
As Skylar and Mufar noted she does need some extra calories while she is healing from her surgery, but after that she should be on her regular amount of food. I don't remember Lily eating so much after she was spayed, but she was free feeding kibble back then. She never gained any weight after she was spayed.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is a very good read and very good question. My BooBoo is being spayed next week. She is 7. I am loving this forum thing.

Please keep us posted on how this situation pans out for yall!!

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a very good read and very good question. My BooBoo is being spayed next week. She is 7. I am loving this forum thing.

Please keep us posted on how this situation pans out for yall!!
It seems to have calmed down. We’re on day 8 of the spay. She still eats with more appetite, but more reasonably, so I haven’t had to reduce her intake. She still has her young girl figure, lol !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts