Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I admit it. I have been bitten by the poodle hair bug.

Before I got Annie, I was all 'retriever cuts are easy and so nice, just shave the whole dog down'. Then I started hanging out here and watching grooming videos. She is 7.5 months and on her 3rd hair style, looking for 4th now that she is about to go into coat change. Puppy cut to lamb cut to Miami to ??? .

Annie is a black standard, and in an overgrown Miami (1") with very long bracelets that got matted on our canoe camping trip last weekend. I did FFT and sanitary today, and want to cut her bracelets off as they are too much combing in a dog in the water multiple times daily... her topknot is long, usually in devils horns, and we are calling it her 90s rockstar look (thin face, wild hair). I usually comb her for about 10 to 30 min per day, switching parts of the dog each day.

Also the hair on her topline, especially back of neck is really starting to change and become dense and curly rather than soft and kinky and she is matting on her back and I am combing out hair!!!!! :ahhhhh: I think coat change has begun...

Any suggestions for stylish, shaved down cuts that I can keep her in during coat change? Preferably cuts that let me keep her super soft puppy topknot as long as possible? I am willing to take a few months to work into the cut... Not a huge fan of the German or Miami with short bracelets look.

I have attached a few pictures of my bedraggled puppy prior to FFT.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Oh that does look a bit rough! I know this isn't your first choice, but I would do a very short on the body Miami. You can leave some length on head/ears, tail and bracelets but overall shorten them for balance. Use this for the rest of the summer and then in the early fall set in lines for an HCC. I think both a Miami and an HCC show the athletic fitness of a poodle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know what it's called. Very short on the body, but not shaved. Longer on the legs and shoulders. Shaved feet and muzzle. Topknot is no longer than on the legs. Tail is short like the body. My standard looked lovely in this and it was very easy to care for.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
I don't know what it's called. Very short on the body, but not shaved. Longer on the legs and shoulders. Shaved feet and muzzle. Topknot is no longer than on the legs. Tail is short like the body. My standard looked lovely in this and it was very easy to care for.
Sounds vaguely like a Town and Country or a variation of it like a Dutch.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, alas, style choice was taken out of my hands.

Spent an hr combing last night, half an hour combing today, bathed her, then hacked bracelets down to one finger width and tried brushing some more. Between the knots and the small pine gum adhered sticks it was slow going. Annie was getting tired of it, I was frustrated, so I gave up and shaved down with a 9 blade. Not knowing any nice cuts with no fur on the legs, I shaved the rest of her down too, except for head and tail.:Cry:

That'll teach me not to forget her comb in the car on a camping trip!!!!

So .... I now have a dog with chicken legs and rockstar hair.:rockon: I have a bad habit of going backwards on tricky parts, and those parts you can see white skin. Good practice in proper technique i guess? Trimming topknot and tail, which i did manage to deknot, is tomorrow's job, we are TIRED.

It grows back, eventually, I guess, I hope???

When it does, I will probably aim for something like Michigan Gal described- sounds lIke the lamb cut she was in before which was really cute... I LOVED the Miami though, and HCC is definitely on the list!

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Glad you decided to let go of the bracelets for the time being - It is so easy to get junk in them, especially if you are the outdoorsy type. I have a dog with a short cut (I use a 7) and also rock star hair - I love the look. Of course the hair will grow back and sooner than you think.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
haha, rock star hair - gotta love a poodle - no other dog can pull something like that off with class.

Change of coat is not fun to deal with, I think you did the right thing just cutting everything off so you don't have to torture yourself or Annie. When she has her adult coat you can go back to having fun with different clips. It doesn't take long for hair to grow back.

Are you blowing Annie's hair straight after a bath? I find that is the most important step for easy maintenance of the coat.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
I think you did the right thing for your lovely dog and for your relationship to just take it off rather than trying to save it all right now. I also think you will be amazed at how fast it grows back. No worries. Enjoy the rest of the summer with something care free and look at pictures to make plans for the fall.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the reassurance! She looks much better with a bit of trimming to balance her head and tail. Hilariously, last night, when I thought she looked awful, a random stranger asked to take her picture because she looked so pretty!

Yes, blowing more straight would help, a forced air dryer is on my wanted list!

Here's a picture of the finished poodle, who refuses to stand still.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Short body with a longer leg is one of the easiest to maintain but slightly stylish cuts. This boy get pretty short in the summer but we keep a slightly longer leg so it’s not little stick legs (this is a 4fc on body and a C-comb on the legs. Longer wars. Pom tail. Shortish topknot with just a little bit of crest left)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts