Poodle Forum banner

Ears

5259 Views 29 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Mj's Legacy
Hello All,

Yesterday I took my puppy in to be groomed and she plucked his ears. He'd had it done before but he didn't react this way. She said she put some sort of liquid in there and he would be shaking his head for a couple of days until he got it all out. I can't even lift his ears to look at them without him pulling away.

Last night and today he doesn't want anyone to touch his ears at all for any reason. He acts like he doesn't feel good and has just been kind of mopey since I picked him up. He's not shaking his head nearly as much today as he was yesterday.

Is it possible that they are just sore from plucking or should I be concerned? Would it be ok to give him a baby aspirin to help alleviate some of the soreness?

He's just not his usual boisterous self and I'm beginning to be a little worried. He's eating and drinking fine and potties fine so no worries there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

KG
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,645 Posts
Man I hope that she didn't use hair remover in his ears!! I had this happen to Harry one time I took him to get a groom and they use liquid hair remover to get the hair out of his ears! I was so pissed off I should have chewed them out but I just never went back there. He ended up with an ear infection and needed antibiotics. Since then I've never allowed hair pulling in the ears and he hasn't had problems with them.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
GASP! Some put hair remover on their ears? Wow.

Are the ears pink or red? If so it may have burned him....I would contact the groomer and ask them about it.
YES! And Harry's were red and when we took him to the vet he knew right away because when a groomer pulls hair there is always hair left behind. They cannot get every single hair. This was slick clean and he had seen it before I guess. I wish I would have taken the vet bill to them and made them pay for it the jerks!

· Registered
2,645 Posts
When I got Vinnie, his breeder told me that his grandmother would always get infections any time her ears were plucked, so she stopped plucking on all her dogs and just started shaving the inside of the ears and if there is a "wick" of hair she'll pluck that, but leaves the rest alone. I told her I would give that a try when I got Vin and so far it's worked. I just keep his ears clean with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol/vinegar.
That alcohol/vinegar mixture is amazing. It really cleans up the ears and is inexpensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.