Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,546 Posts
When I got Vinnie, his breeder told me that his grandmother would always get infections any time her ears were plucked, so she stopped plucking on all her dogs and just started shaving the inside of the ears and if there is a "wick" of hair she'll pluck that, but leaves the rest alone. I told her I would give that a try when I got Vin and so far it's worked. I just keep his ears clean with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol/vinegar.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Is the vin/alc mix better than getting an "ear cleaner"? Do you fill the ear up and let them shake it out?? I've been using these "ear wipes" but I don't think they can really get it all since they can only go where my fingers can! Been looking for a good gentle but get the job done ear cleaner :)
I love the Vinegar/Alcohol mixture. I would not use it if Vinnie's ears were sore. The ONE time he had an infection (my fault - forgot the cotton for his ears when bathing and he got water in one ear) I treated the ear for a week and THEN cleaned it.

I don't fill the ear canal - I just soak a cotton ball and use that to clean his ears, then use a dry cotton ball to wip them out.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I just use my regular clippers with a 15 blade (usually). Last time I groomed Vinnie, my big clippers were out of comission, so used my Wahl Mini Arco (it has a 30 blade) and that works really well too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.