Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mister seems to have eaten off parts of his ears. I now tie them back when he eats but pieces of hair from his ears are constantly in his mouth. What do you guys do to keep your dogs ears nice? He is not a show dog but would consider banding them, just dont know how or what with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh I have Harry's shaved. I shaved them but now what a fuller ear so I'm going to grow them out but keep them at the ear leather. If you don't want to shave them you might get either a raised bowl or pull them back before he eats.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I use a snood now....but for a long time I did not and for some reason I have had no problem with either Billy or Taffy chewing hair off the ends of their ears. And, they are long enough to be in their bowls when they eat; especially Billy's! Wish I could offer you some advice.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
OH yes a snood would be good. Sorry I didn't read that you tie them back. I guess loose ends get out and get in his way.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Band them. Small rubber band beneath the leather. Slide a comb above band to make sure that you did not catch any skin.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Band them. Small rubber band beneath the leather. Slide a comb above band to make sure that you did not catch any skin.
Ok that sounds easy enough...i have small bands for my horse that would work perfect. They arent quite rubber so they dont pull out any hair, more silicon-ish.

How long do you leave them in at a time? A week? Or redo them every few days?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a snood now....but for a long time I did not and for some reason I have had no problem with either Billy or Taffy chewing hair off the ends of their ears. And, they are long enough to be in their bowls when they eat; especially Billy's! Wish I could offer you some advice.
Yeah i should invest in a snood for eating time because thats the worst and tying his ears back all the time will create breakage eventually. Hopefully banding them will keep them out of his mouth and allow them to grow and once they are long enough maybe i can have them back out lol. Darn Pood :)

Thanks for the help gals!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ok that sounds easy enough...i have small bands for my horse that would work perfect. They arent quite rubber so they dont pull out any hair, more silicon-ish.

How long do you leave them in at a time? A week? Or redo them every few days?
Those sound like the same type of bands we use. Cbrand advised me the other day to change bands every few days unless I am using wraps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought that having raised food dishes helped prevent bloat. Darn it, I guess Ive been doing the opposite of what I should be. If I set the dishes on the floor the boys lay down when they eat. Is that any better?

I better learn about how to prevent the boys from eating their own ear hair because I dont intend to ever cut off any of their ear hair. I love super long ears on a spoo. Of course, right now they hardly have much, certainly not enough to cause problems when they eat. I swear their leg and ear hair MUST grow slower than the rest of their body hair, especially their face and feet. If the rest of their body grew at the same rate as their face and feet their coat would be dragging on the floor by now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
They used to say to elevate the bowls back in the old days. These new whipper snapper docs change everything. I think the truth is no one really knows. If there is doubt tho, I wouldn't do it! It doesn't matter if they lay down to eat at all. Heck, maybe it means they are relaxed and less likely to get the stress that can cause the bloat. Who really knows. Snoods are great because you just put them on and take em off right there.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Raised dishes have recently been linked to heightened risk of bloat. Please don't use them unless your dog has physical issues requiring them or only at the advice of a veterinarian. http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm
Not to start a debate but according to that site just about anything can make a dog bloat including being a male or "prone to stress" (whats that even mean all dogs are prone to some sort of stress reguargless of breed.).
So I would not worry to much about a raised food bowl and really if the bowl is not currently raised I would just leave it and use a snood or keep the ears short.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, it is unknown what causes it. Several other newer studies support the theory of the raised bowl link, not just this one website. So maybe it does increase the risk only nominally, maybe it doesn't at all. But if I have a breed prone to it, and I read there is possibly a link, I think I am going to take their suggestion unless the risk outweigh the benefit to my particular dog.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
another option I've seen done is a french plait down the front edge of the ear; the hair-in-the-mouth problem is usually with that front edge of the ear, it's the bits that side right by the face that get into the mouth. Putting a wee french plait all the way down the front edge of his ear; keeping all those wispy bits tucked away into the plait might help...?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Sorry, dont mean to steal the threa either...

Just wanted to mention about the bloat. There are many studies that show a higher incidence of bloat in dogs that are high-strung. Also the raised food bowls does seem to be a problem. Yes, we do not know yet what causes it, but these do seem to be factors (and i do have to say that alot of the bloat dogs ive seen were high-strung dogs).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts