Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi can anyone advise me on what to use to clean lotties ears as i am new to the poodle game, all help greatful

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use cotton balls with water and vinegar-some ears have more folds and of course those who are diggers get dirtier ears-

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My breeder sent me home with a home made solution that seems to be working wonders! I can post the recipe to make it if you're interested.. let me know!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
We use the vet solution that our vet recommended. It's a white bottle with purple lettering on it. Cleans and keeps them dry.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
here's what I use and my breeder has used for years without any ear infections!!

BLUE POWER EAR TREATMENT
8oz Isopropyl Alcohol
(or 8oz Witch Hazel if ears are very inflamed or sore)
2 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
8 drops Gentian Violet Solution (1%)

Mix together in a plastic bottle and shake well. (Purchase a Clairol type plastic bottle used for hair colouring from a beauty supply store)
Shake well every time you use this to disperse the Boric Acid powder.
Also, the Gentian Violet is very dark purple and stains easily, use this outside to prevent any accidental staining to carpets and furniture.

Treatment ;
Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed or sore; DO NOT attempt to pull hair or clean ear out at all. Just flush with solution and wait until inflamation has subsided (about 2 days).
Warm the solution and shake bottle each time before using and apply as quicky as possible before it settles to the bottom. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle) Massage gently for a count of 60. Wipe with cotton or tissue. On first treatment; flood ear twice, wipe with tissue and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out excess, which can be wiped with tissue.

Hope someone out there finds this helpful! I'm sure making this solution at home is much more cost effective then buying the Vet's product and works just as well!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Make sure your plucking the hair out of the ears at least once a month or else he will get an ear infection.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I plucked Rogan's ears the other day and he didn't even really care!! I was amazed!! I used my fingers for some, and then used tweezers to get some... he was a tad annoyed with me, but no crying or yelping, so that was a huge relief! Poor little guy, it doesn't seem fair! But I know it's for his own good :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts