Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 14 month old puppy (she's a black) has gray (and I mean WHITE) hair? It's not like she's turning into a silver - the white hair that is coming in is a different texture and diameter - like the gray hair of a human is different from "normal" hair color/texture. Is this normal for a dog so young? I've noticed it particularly on her tail.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Normal.

Moose is chocolate/brown and he's doing the same, right around the same age too actually.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, I know my black standard got that as well at an early age and she actually was a blue to my suprise. She turned into a very very dark charocal, looked black to most people. Does your breeder breed blues?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Remember poodles go though a coat change and will not have their adutl coat until they are 2 or more ;) They can change in color, texture and desity in that time. My girl has all kids of those hairs all though her coat.

Blues seam to be a confusing in poodles. If you think your dog is blue all you need to do is look at its parents, if one or both are black then your dog is black.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It's very normal for poodles to change color. The only ones that stay the same color are whites. My red female lightened up to dark apricot and is now getting some strange whitish/grey in her. My male was in interesting cream/dark apricot on ears and in some spots which was not a parti. I was told it's common in puppies, well the apricot went away and was replaced by champaigne (sp?) and he is that color pretty much all over...go figure.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yes, it's normal. One of our miniature black poodle puppies was actually
born with a silver Gotee, like my stud's and we thought my stud just
had it because he was an older dog, lol.:)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
One of the breeder's I have been talking to refer's to those white hairs as strays. She just asked me the other day if my boy was getting the white hairs yet. He will be 1 yr on the 24 of this month and he is getting them. Most people pull or pluck them out. My boy doesn't have that many so I just pull them out.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
gray hairs

Hi I am new here and this is my first try at a post. I have a chocolate standard and after I cut his hair the other day he looks more silver than anything. He always had the silver in with the brown and I was told that is chocolate so I am wondering if he will stay silver when his hair grows or be the way he was before. He is 3.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
No that's Ginger - she is/was Red but has gotten lighter. The picture of all four of the poodles shows Teddy looking more brown but he looks silver now with brown hairs here and there. I have to take some new pix.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I just went to the site you gave me and I am astonished. I think Teddy is a silver! At least now with his haircut! lol Dont' know his history because he was rescued at about 2 yrs old. I thought he was called chocolate - brown with silver hair intertwined but now I wonder. thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
So I JUST noticed this on my standard. He has 2, count them TWO, thick white hairs on his nose right between his eyes. I kept trying to get him to stand still thinking he had lint on his nose, lol.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I just posted an old picture of Teddy - I don't know where - lol - still learning to use the site! Anyway I can't get over how dark he was last summer! He is silver now. Amazing! He has a little shite spot on the top of his right front leg. What color is your dog with the two white hairs? lol
Pam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts