Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i have an 8 month old spoo and he has not been to a groomer much, i have just been doing a simple and easy cut. Well i met a new friend who happens to be a old groomer who just does it on the sides now. I am still learning alot about the breed so im not sure if what she did today is normal or not, personally i thought it was mean and i didnt really like it. But she was noticing that the insides of his ears had alot of fur in there and she said it has to be removed to help keep infections and stuff away, well i can understand that so she came over today and im thinking i'll hold him as she cuts it out....nope.... she brought a special kind of tweezers and was pulling chunks of hair out of his ears. At first he didnt seem to mind that much but after a few mon he was really fighting so i told her to stop. So basically im just woundering if its normal to pull the hair out or should it be done another way? I dont want my baby boy being hurt. Thanks

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
It's normaly to pluck ear hair, the more they get it done the more the learn to tolerate it. I lay my puppy across my lap, get him calm and chill, flip his ear open, keep him calm, then take a little out at a time, not even looking. I keep watching tv or whatever, pet him more, take a little out. Though I don't have a huge bush in his ears anymore, I plucked that out the first week I had him. He didn't like it, but I want to keep his ear canals clear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys, i was just a bit worried lol i dont want to cause him any pain if i can help it.:)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yep, absolutely normal. Lots of dogs don't like it, especially when they haven't had it done before. If you don't pluck the hair, it does increase risk of infection. He may fight it at first, but like Fluffyspoos said, you have to get him to tolerate it. Be gentle, pluck a bit at a time on your own at home. Let him get used to it. Pulling out chunks at first can be a bit shocking, many dogs scream, just because it's weird and stings.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Pulling out chunks at first can be a bit shocking, many dogs scream, just because it's weird and stings.
That was Vegas, lol. He had a lot when I first did it too, and I used ear powder to get it ALL! Now that I got the initial bush out, it's much easier to get the smaller pieces that grow, and a lot less painful.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I pluck Nat's hair out of his ears. It comes out easy and without a lot of fuss. Well he fusses, but really the hair comes out easy LOL. Jasper's ear hair is holding on for dear life. It just does not pluck and is firmly embedded. I've been using the CC ear cleaner on Jas weekly and that seems to be doing a good enough job for now. I've not tried ear powder yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow i never would have thought that it wouldnt be horribly painfull, lol i guess i'll have to start working on it bit by bit with him, and to help my challenge i might be getting another spoo today. Im going to go look at 6 or 7 month old femals, one is blonde and the other is a apricot, im so excited. Although yesterday i brought my moms germ shep over for the night so he could play and they did great but, every morning my husband lets him out to pee at 4 in the morning and then he does fine till 8 when i put him out, well this morning i got up early and he stood right there in front of me and pee'd and it was only 6:30 then just now he was rolling in the wet spot, i just dont understand why he's doing this, and he is still pee'ing when excited it is driving us all nutts lol ok sorry for the long story lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts