Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luke has an ear infection that I just can't get rid of I have tried everything he has been to the vet twice the first time the gave me Monetamax used as directed it seem to clear it up,but a week and a half later he started shaking his head again so we did another round of the same thing again clears up soon as I quit using the meds right back,then we tried a new med Gentizol seen to work for about three weeks and again head shaking.

I decided to try some home remedies I found on another dog site's that suggested vinegar and alcohol to clean and monistat for the yeast got better never seemed to go away completely. Frustrated we went back to the vet this time the gave me Baytril Otic once again head shaking got better he seem ok for about a week and here we go again. I feel so bad for him because every time I clean out his ears he is crying. The last time we were at the vet they said it was yeast and bacterial.
I have read about having the ear flushed by a vet I don't mind spending the money if it will help does anyone have any ideas. I'm starting to call this the million dollar ear . Oh I also have his ear shaved down so that they are as cool as possible like I said I don't know where to go from here to make him better help.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If they are not getting better then i would send out a culture on the ear to a lab. This will tell you if he has resistant organisms in the ear and therefor what medication will clear it up. I would do that before the flushing (we actually arnt that big of fans on flushing at my clinic anyways).

Another thing we do is about 2 weeks after starting medications we have owners come back for a recheck before stopping the meds. We run an ear cytologly (look under the microscope to check what problems and how bad) and make sure things are cleared up. This is a great idea as it lets us know if we can stop the meds or need to continue for longer. Perhaps you are stopping them before the problem is fully cleared so it just starts back up again.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Have you checked for food allergies? I know it sounds strange, but sometimes if you can catch it and feed something different the ear infections will go away. \

I would also look into Thornit. It's canker powder that comes from England. They swear by it there. Since Liberty and Cosita have started using it we haven't had one ear infection, and that's been several years now, when we used to get them frequently. I changed Cosita's food though too. It's supposed to balance the bacteria, and it must, because it works for us!

·
Registered
781 Posts
i agree with flufflvr about looking into the food allergies. my friend had a spoo that had such ear trouble for almost 7 years that it started to effect her hearing (not to mention my friend's wallet). then, a simple change in the dogs diet cleared everything up. i don't remember what she changed from and to, but i will ask her and let you know.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice I am going to make an appt. and have his ear rechecked,how would you go about finding out if he is allergic to a certain food?
If you could let me know what type of food might help I could try that to I'm will to try anything at this point.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree, try a food change, I have known dogs to have allergies to certain foods and it included recurrent ear infections. Also, make sure the ear is staying dry. When I have had an ear infection in any of my dogs, I have had to use the ear meds, but also used an ear drying powder to make sure the ear staid dried out and that seems to help. I periodically use ear drying powder in my guys ears as they go out and play in water and stuff and I have had no problems with ear infections. Some dogs seem to have "wetter" ears than others and poodles, like all drop ear dogs, tend to get ear infections easier. That is one plus in the standing eared dogs, they have air flow that allows the ears to stay dry and not hold in moisture.

Also, getting a culture would be a great idea as this could pinpoint what is the cause.

Best of luck with it all!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for the advice I am going to make an appt. and have his ear rechecked,how would you go about finding out if he is allergic to a certain food?
If you could let me know what type of food might help I could try that to I'm will to try anything at this point.
i wrote to my friend and will give you info as soon as i hear from her. promise. i know how much anxiety these kinds of things can cause.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Food allergies...

I'd start by removing Chicken as it seems to be the #1 culprit in dog allergies. You have to read ingredient lists because they sometimes sneak chicken in as poultry fat or poultry meal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts