Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Perry is headed to the groomer on Tuesday. He isn't getting anything drastic, but she said she was going to start to get him shaped so we can start a teddy bear cut.

The groomer said we would do a sanitary (which I understand), clean feet (got that one too), and she said she will be plucking his ears? That's the one I don't get. Can someone explain this to me? Is it the entire inside of his ears? Or just a little bit of them? I have absolutely no idea!

Also, she broke the news to me that we will probably have to say goodbye to the mohawk. Darn. That was the only way people ever called him a boy! lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
Ear plucking is to take the hair out of the ear canal that you can see, this is removed to allow nice clean ears your groomer will probably do as much as you poodle will let her to start with they soon get used to it.

Also if you like the Mohawk top knott then i would ask your groomer to leave it, also what about having a moustache they look great

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooooh, ok. I get it. Thanks!

I had thought about the moustache... but... Perry is a dirty little thing. I think he was born to be a bigger dog but got stuck in a smaller body. A moustache would be constantly full of mud on him, or other nasty things he might find.

The problem with the mohawk is, she said that it would be "really hard to keep/even see since with the teddy bear cut, the idea is to make him have a little round face"... or at least that's how she explained it to me.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard it helps with the eye watering to have the ears cleaner as well.
Let's hope THAT one is true! Perry has very watery eyes that I have to wipe every day. I have mixed feelings about buying the Angel Eyes stuff, so I just wipe 'em.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe it is... the groomer just said a fluffy face, and I'm no expert on poodles :) She and I talked, though, and his hair isn't going to be as long as a normal teddy bear for maintenance reasons. We'll see! I may not get what I want. I'm afraid I have this idea of what I want him to look like that I can't correctly tell the groomer! Oh well, I suppose... anyone has to be better than the girl that got ahold of him last time at PetsMart!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wouldn't call a moustache (on a poodle) to be the same as a teddy bear face. A poodle moustache still has the sides of the head shaved, and just the moustache left around the nose. A teddy bear face has a full beard. Yeas technically it has the mo' too, but I'd never call it that, it's simply a full fluffy faced beard.

Which is the reason you groomer said you couldn't really have just a mo', cos you won't be able to get a fluffy round teddy face if you are shaving the sides of the face down to create a mo'!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts