Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am getting better at plucking Renns ears. Even though he gets groomed every 4 weeks it seems the ears are my job. They stay good but then suddenly they get thick with fur inside the ear. This bothers him and I know as I can see the his ears get dirty with wax and dirt. I use the grooming powder today and its then easy to just pull out. Afterwards I usually use some zymox to clean them out and then take a cotton ball or pads and wipe them out well. Am I doing this correct? Is there anything else I should be doing? If I do not clean them out he will get a ear infection. It has happened. Fortunately this job doesn't need to be done to often. (its like its not there and suddenly its blocked up with it) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
Your Renn's ear story and how to handle it sounds exactly like what I do with Javelin. Lily never has heavy ear hair so I don't need to do much with her ears.

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Catherine. I am getting braver, may start to tackle his feet next. LOL.. HIs personality is getting better n better. He now wants to please. He is still very attached but I cans say to him go say hello to Kathryn or go find Kathryn and he will seek my daughter out run back to me then go back to her for loving. He loves ball playing in the back yard. I need two though as he will drop the one so I can throw the other and back n forth we go. Next step is to incorporate some actually training into it. I am getting him to sit, drop the ball let me walk to him, grab his collar, then I free him to play more. Its a slow process for us but we are getting there. He no longer jumps on anyone though he still hops pretty high, lol but he is keeping paws off so I'll take that as a win. I love him more each day..usuallly..

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have the same with Molly. She has very heavy hair and it grows long and down into her ear canal. I finally realized that is why she was always scratching her ears, even sticking her toenails in her ear and scratching. I now pluck them every couple of weeks and am amazed at how long some of the hair is. No wonder it was itching.

It took her a few months to get used to it, but now she doesn't mind a bit and she no longer has frizzy ears!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts