Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, how I can make the packages for the ears of my pup? he is a toy, 5 month show prospect :)

Also I want to know if his topknot needs packages too? I band it, but I'm not sure if I need to make package there also. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Opss, I guess I wasn't too clear. :call-me:

What I tried to say is how I can wrap the paper on the ears and where the bands need to be placed? I don't know how is done. :smow:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I bought a plastic table cloth at Target and cut my own wraps. For $2.50 I have enough wraps to last me a couple of years. :)

I could not find a video on how to wrap a poodle, but here is one on how to wrap a Yorkie. Same basic idea, though it looks like they use wax paper wraps. All the poodle folks I know use plastic.

I think your puppy is probably too young yet to wrap the topknot. I think you can get away with banding for another few months. As far as learning to wrap, I think you basically just have to practice. Band a section of hair. Wrap. I try to always make sure that I cover the rubber band. I always band the wrap with two rubber bands.

When banding the ears, it is VERY VERY IMPORTANT to always make sure that you can slip the tines of a comb between the top band and the ear leather. If you catch a piece of ear leather, you can seriously damage the ear. When I am finished wrapping the ears, I spray the wraps with bitter apple to keep the dog from chewing on it. If you start this as a puppy, your poodle should hopefully not become an ear chewer.

·
Registered
997 Posts
When banding the ears, it is VERY VERY IMPORTANT to always make sure that you can slip the tines of a comb between the top band and the ear leather. If you catch a piece of ear leather, you can seriously damage the ear.
I wanted to start by repeating Carol's warning about checking that you haven't caught a bit of the ear leather in a band. A dozen people will probably warn you about this, but there is a reason--it can happen, and you can lose a piece of the ear. I know of a prominent handler who lost a big client over a bit of ear.

This site has nice pictures showing you how to band and wrap (including a picture of the comb test!). She is right that you will feel horribly bad at it when you start. I never did manage to do wraps efficiently or neatly. But they still got the job done.

WRAPPING and BANDING SHOW COATS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts