Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Lol Raffi is definitely higher maintenance than me! So far I like his hair long but I'm well aware the dreaded coat change is a few months off...
I did actually like rkj's picture of Willard farther up this thread, although the feet aren't shaved. Are you thinking of something like this?
View attachment 463978

This one is really short! He does have shaved face and feet too. Tail is too short for me though.
View attachment 463979

I'd love to see Peggy in a clip like this with a mohawk!! 馃榾
View attachment 463980
Ha! People already pull over their cars (literally) to comment on Peggy's appearance. I can't imagine how much attention she'd get with a mohawk! :LOL:

I think Willard looks lovely and sporty. Will probably do something like him/that middle pic you shared. I'll show our groomer those photos.

We kept our old girl Gracie's tail short (called it "the asparagus tail" or "whip tail" in our household) but I think Peggy's pouf tail suits her nicely. I like that people stop us to say how pretty she is and would prefer that doesn't change. Maybe this is silly, but I think she likes it, too! Must make a dog feel good when strangers approach with a warm, admiring demeanour.

That was partly why I named her Peggy Sue. Makes people smile when they hear it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
This is the bowl we use. It doesn't prevent mats, but it does keep ears dry and keeps most water from being slopped around.
This is great! Peggy's played in her water dish since we first brought her home. She'd climb right in if she could.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I made the mistake too with Willard, as he was my first poodle. I was not paying attention, and did not realize how matted his ears got when his coat was changing.

I felt so bad for failing and neglecting my poodle.

He got the shave down of shame.

Ultimately, all was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love that look he's getting. Like, "Jeez man, what happened to you??"

Registered
I think you may be thinking of "sporting clip" or "retriever clip"? A Google will get you a bunch of photos of somewhat stylish and practical poodles.

If you really want to stop traffic - a HCC is fun :)

Ha! People already pull over their cars (literally) to comment on Peggy's appearance. I can't imagine how much attention she'd get with a mohawk! :LOL:

I think Willard looks lovely and sporty. Will probably do something like him/that middle pic you shared. I'll show our groomer those photos.

We kept our old girl Gracie's tail short (called it "the asparagus tail" or "whip tail" in our household) but I think Peggy's pouf tail suits her nicely. I like that people stop us to say how pretty she is and would prefer that doesn't change. Maybe this is silly, but I think she likes it, too! Must make a dog feel good when strangers approach with a warm, admiring demeanour.

That was partly why I named her Peggy Sue. Makes people smile when they hear it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
I think you may be thinking of "sporting clip" or "retriever clip"? A Google will get you a bunch of photos of somewhat stylish and practical poodles.

If you really want to stop traffic - a HCC is fun :)
Well now I've gone waaaaaaaay down the google rabbit hole of poodle clips!! Seeing a parti in an HCC really took my breath away. Gorgeous. I'm definitely imagining the possibilities now. :love:

Our groomer's itching to get fancy with Peggy this summer, so perhaps I'll let her try it out then. (That gives me some time to convince my husband.)

For now we'll go with the "Willard special," to make it a little easier for me to navigate my first coat change.

Registered
Even my father (who laughed at her in a Miami, and laughed at her huge head of floof), when he saw Annie in an HCC thought she was pretty good lookin'. I actually started putting a coat on Annie on walks, as I got tired of people commenting in the street! But yeah, coat change happened... Next summer, after coat change, Peggy in an HCC would be glorious.

Registered
Alfie went to the groomer this morning. I just felt one of his ears and he has a mat already! I know that I sent him to the groomer with mat-free ears.

One of my late poodles hated having her tail brushed, so she wore a shaved down rattail for her last few years. Whatever makes them happiest.

Registered
Alfie went to the groomer this morning. I just felt one of his ears and he has a mat already! I know that I sent him to the groomer with mat-free ears.

One of my late poodles hated having her tail brushed, so she wore a shaved down rattail for her last few years. Whatever makes them happiest.
Willard is rocking the short tail now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Same here zesti_v I love changing divas style that the fun part of the poodle. Them are some cute styles Jessie's had.
Here is Annie with short ears. View attachment 463977
Annie is beautiful
I'm a low maintenance girl myself - no makeup, no fuss. So it makes sense I should keep my poodle girl low maintenance, too!

I don't personally love the look of short ears with a topknot, but I can't find any photos of a no (or very short) topknot/shaved face combo. Or even a very short all-over clip with shaved feet.

I'm still so new to this poodle stuff! Forgive my lack of proper terminology.
If you Google Retriever trim you might find shaved all over poodles.

Attachments

Registered
I'm a low maintenance girl myself - no makeup, no fuss. So it makes sense I should keep my poodle girl low maintenance, too!

I don't personally love the look of short ears with a topknot, but I can't find any photos of a no (or very short) topknot/shaved face combo. Or even a very short all-over clip with shaved feet.

I'm still so new to this poodle stuff! Forgive my lack of proper terminology.

Registered
When Iris was a pup she chewed her ears so I had them shaved short with a small rather compact topknot. The look suited her so well that I kept her in a short ear style her whole 14 yrs of life. The attached picture shows Iris at age 10 with her pretty short ears and little topknot. I alway thought this look to be quite flattering.
IMG_0123.JPG

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
When Iris was a pup she chewed her ears so I had them shaved short with a small rather compact topknot. The look suited her so well that I kept her in a short ear style her whole 14 yrs of life. The attached picture shows Iris at age 10 with her pretty short ears and little topknot. I alway thought this look to be quite flattering. View attachment 464044
Iris looks gorgeous!

Since bringing Peggy home, I'm finding myself (rather unexpectedly) embracing styles I didn't previously feel a connection to. This one looks so practical, but still quite pretty.

When Peggy was smaller she had a bad habit of getting her ear caught in her mouth. I'd hear her squealing, run to help, and there she'd be sitting with her ear between her teeth, acting like someone was torturing her.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Well, today's grooming didn't go quite as expected. Peggy's in a secondary fear period and apparently fell to pieces at the mere sight of the clippers, cowering on the table as though she hasn't done this at least half a dozen times before.

Confoundingly, this was despite being overjoyed to see her groomer, excitedly following her without so much as a glance back at me. And when I returned to pick her up, she was happily playing with a ball and another dog. A testament to our wonderful groomer, I suppose. She didn't push her and made every effort to keep the experience positive.

So this is who we dropped off:

And this is who we've got now:

We'll return in 3 weeks to take a second stab at her body, tail, and topknot. But for now it's into the crate for a long, much-needed nap. Silly poodle.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts