Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... how do you know if your dog has one?? I haven't been plucking Desmond's ear hair like I should, but when I clean his ears with a little wipey it's practically still clean when it comes out, very slight discoloration, no wax. I worry that he has an ear infection though, and I'm not seeing it since I haven't been paying attention to his ears for so long. His ears aren't red or anything, they're all the same peachy color. It looks healthy, but I'm still suspicious. I know poodles are prone to ear infections, so I want to keep an eye on it. I plucked them today, and it didn't seem infected, but I don't exactly know what to look for other than a severe infection that is obvious.

I tried smelling it to see if it smelled bad, but... I mean, it's an ear, of course it smells funny. It just smells like ear to me. :\

I mean, what I'm asking is, how do you tell if your dog has an ear infection if you can't see it or smell it?? Do your poodles get ear infections frequently? How do you prevent or treat them?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
An ear infection will produce discomfort in your dog - so if you're cleaning the ears and there's nothing "yuckky" coming out and Desmond isn't whining or shaking his head or scratching frantically at his ears you're probably just fine.

While I was growing up our Irish Setters used to get chronic ear infections - they smelled BAD! Lucy has had some issues with frequent brown waxy stuff in her ears so we've changed her food to a limited ingredient diet (Natural Balance Fish & Sweet Potato) and her ears have improved quite a bit - I'm still not sure if she had a sensitivity to grains or the proteins that were in her old food, but the new food seems to be helping. She didn't have a bad odor to her ears, just the waxy substance and she did shake her head a lot; but even that has gotten better.

I would say if Desmond isn't telling you that his ears are bothering him, you don't have anything to worry about! :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Doggy will shake its head, scratch at it etc. My non-poodle gets yeasty infections a lot. There is nasty black discharge and a cheesy smell. She will sit there and shake her head, scratch at them, paw at them, etc. Her ears will get red and raw and yucky on the outside. If he isn't shaking his head, pawing his ears, etc, I'd say he's OK. Ears are something dogs won't ignore if they are hurting them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You will know! I groom dogs and at least a couple times a week, I make owners aware that there dog has an infection brewing. THEY ARE CLUE-LESS. I want to scream "How can you NOT see that your dogs ears are so putrid?" Now those little beginner ear infections are sometimes hard to detect and they can literally become full-blown overnight. But I think you are asking very obvious signs of an ear infection and it sounds like you aren't detecting anything obvious.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The smell alone will tell you! However, other signs: black goo in ears, serious pain, constant scratching, head shaking.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. He only scratches his ears when his head itches, very infrequently, so it sounds like he's okay. :) Good to know! I was worried I was missing some tell-tale sign or something; I'm just being paranoid!! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts