Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
I’m curious what you use to combat ear infections? I’m currently using a homemade mix of boric acid, rubbing alcohol and white vinegar with a few drops of iodine. This is a recipe I found online. It’s quite effective but I wonder if it isn’t too strong.

just saw the ear care guide

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
In the past, when Mia's ears have smelled yeasty, I've lightly rubbed her ear leather with a cotton ball wetted with diluted white vinegar. Same for feet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you continue using your recipe, replace the rubbing alcohol with vodka or whiskey, the same proof as the rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has a poison in it.

A disagreeable food can be at the root of ear infections. What do you feed your dog?

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
I've had decent luck with TrizULTRA + Keto. I get it from my vet, but Chewy sells it too.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
I have' not plucked Asta's ear and he has very much hair. Haven't ever seen a ear infection even with his hairy ears. I do use .blunt (round) scissor. Now at least he will tolerate the scissoring which is a major breakthrough for Asta - as usually I put a name (command) as I am work on him accepting-in this case and slowly in his own time. So I work on small pieces of his command - we use "ears" for any time we want to warn him that something about ears is about to happen from really good ear rubs to ear rubs and holding scissors near him, Last step is the full behavior. I will use a really good treat ("jump up") to treat based reward. Mixing up the reward so he never know what the treat will be. He really is a very praise dog. Prefers attention to rewards. A good loving is for him, the best reward ever.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asta sounds like my girl princess. She loves attention. And I love her

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you continue using your recipe, replace the rubbing alcohol with vodka or whiskey, the same proof as the rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has a poison in it.

A disagreeable food can be at the root of ear infections. What do you feed your dog?
Both my standards get a mix of blue buffalo kibble and cooked ground turkey. Usually 93/7 and 98/2 Been feeding that for years. Their weight is steady and their appetite is excellent. I didn’t realize rubbing alcohol could be an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts