Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a few days of more frequent than usual head shaking, I brought my 11-month old spoo to the vet today and he was diagnosed with an ear infection (both ears) - we were given Epi-Otic ear cleaner and Malmetazone drops.

I haven't dealt with an ear issue yet, but his ears currently have a bit more hair in the canal than normal - I try to keep his ears clean and don't subscribe to the deep plucking, but usually rely on the groomer to remove some of the fine hairs by hand and trim anything else (on top of that, we had a negative experience with a new groomer last week, in which his ears didn't appear to be touched at all, yet that is the day this unusual head shaking started). The vet told me I should bring him into a groomer to get his ears plucked ASAP, so I can ensure the medicine is actually getting into his ear. This sounded insane to me and I questioned it several times - the ears are already infected, I can't imagine plucking them right now of all times?! Am I off base here?

Needless to say, drop application today went awful - took both myself and my husband to hold him in place, and with some hair in the canal, I couldn't even tell how well I was getting it into his ear. Can't imagine how I'll manage this daily for the next 10-14 days. Should I try to pursue another course of treatment with the vet? My other worry is that we are headed out of town early next week. Our pup will be staying with my folks, who I obviously trust to handle whatever, but I'd much rather know for sure we have this infection on the up and up by then.

Thanks in advance for any advice - first time spoo owner just trying to do my best by our sweet little guy!

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
If your vet says it’s okay (and necessary) to get his ears plucked, then I definitely would do it ASAP. If the medicine isn’t going in the ear canal because of the hair, there is no point in treating. Ear infections are painful and your dog must be uncomfortable.

Plucking doesn’t hurt the dog and the infection isn’t where the hair is, it’s deeper in the canal. It will probably be more uncomfortable to be plucked now, but less so than having an ongoing ear infection...

Then going forward make sure you pluck. It’s no big deal, I do it to both my dogs. Just do it a little bit at a time for maintenance, don’t try to get it all out at once.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Our vet actually plucked some hair out of Neo's very hairy ear before instilling the med the second time we went. (It took two visits to clear the infection totally for him.)

Also, we had a choice of a one time instillation of a 30 day med called Claro, or we could go the daily route. We chose the one time good for 30 days.

Check with your vet to see if the 30 day med is an option, and, I wonder why they didn't do some plucking there and then, since they could see it would be an issue in getting the med in place? I ask only because our vet did without needing to be asked.

Good luck with this!

·
Registered
450 Posts
After a few days of more frequent than usual head shaking, I brought my 11-month old spoo to the vet today and he was diagnosed with an ear infection (both ears) - we were given Epi-Otic ear cleaner and Malmetazone drops.

I haven't dealt with an ear issue yet, but his ears currently have a bit more hair in the canal than normal - I try to keep his ears clean and don't subscribe to the deep plucking, but usually rely on the groomer to remove some of the fine hairs by hand and trim anything else (on top of that, we had a negative experience with a new groomer last week, in which his ears didn't appear to be touched at all, yet that is the day this unusual head shaking started). The vet told me I should bring him into a groomer to get his ears plucked ASAP, so I can ensure the medicine is actually getting into his ear. This sounded insane to me and I questioned it several times - the ears are already infected, I can't imagine plucking them right now of all times?! Am I off base here?

Needless to say, drop application today went awful - took both myself and my husband to hold him in place, and with some hair in the canal, I couldn't even tell how well I was getting it into his ear. Can't imagine how I'll manage this daily for the next 10-14 days. Should I try to pursue another course of treatment with the vet? My other worry is that we are headed out of town early next week. Our pup will be staying with my folks, who I obviously trust to handle whatever, but I'd much rather know for sure we have this infection on the up and up by then.

Thanks in advance for any advice - first time spoo owner just trying to do my best by our sweet little guy!
We have a Standard, and several groomers and vets have all remarked that he has the hairiest ears they've ever seen. The ears are literally packed with thick fuzz! He also has an unusually large amount of ear wax production. He had a nasty double ear infection as a young pup, and the vet techs had to pluck his ears for me and then we applied the medicine drops for the required time. Our pup was not thrilled, but did not strenuously object to the application of the medicine . Afterwards, my vet gave us great advice that has resulted in 2+ years of no infections.
1) he regularly gets very thorough and deep ear plucking at the groomers. He has huge ear flaps, too, and the humidity was getting trapped.
2) once a week I apply 1/2 teaspoon Burow's Solution to each ear, and massage the base of the ear until I can hear it "squelching" for a few seconds.
3) I carefully wipe as far as I can see into the ear with my thumb covered in a sensitive skin Baby wipe a few hours later to remove any loose debris.

As Charlie is now over 80 pounds, he would be quite a challenge if he decided to fight me on this, but he is quite resigned to the weekly ritual and is easy to handle. No more gooey, stinky ears, frantic head shaking and scratching!

Any time he gets a bath or I suspect he has gotten river water in his ears I quickly apply the Burow's too. A $25 bottle from my vet lasts a year

Good luck

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Renn had one ear infection around the same age. Our vet also recommended that our groomer keep his ears plucked. We went with a two visit ear drop. The first one helped within a day or two an two weeks later he got a 2nd drop. All has been well. I check his ears more often now and I cans ee when they are getting dirty and waxy. I then use a ear rinse, clean them out and the following day I massage some zymox in. At that point I'm checking daily and I then use some grooming powder and pluck them out with my fingers. He gets very deep thicker hair. His groomer keeps them clean every 4 weeks but in between I really must get more out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like he might have gotten some water in his ears at the groomers. If they didn't pluck his ears a bit then they probably also didn't wipe them out to get rid of any moisture.
As a vet tech, I often have to pluck the ears on dogs with infections. I always feel bad as most are just generally sensitive about having their sore ears handled. But getting those thick clumps of hair out is just a necessity. Once the infection is present the hair is full of discharge and traps moisture instead de the ear canal.
Like Charlie's Person, I am a big fan of Burow's solution. For dogs that require plucking, a few drops afterwards heads off any irritation than could develop into further infection. It's awesome as a regular prevention for dogs prone to ear infections otherwise too.
As far as the continuing ear treatment, it can go one of two ways. Now that the first dose is in, his ears should be feeling better, he may be much more tolerant of having his ears handled and the next doses applied. Or, having his ears handled is turning into a bad experience and he keeps fighting every time. In which case you will want to ask your vet about one of the single application options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts