Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My boy has very long natural ears that I have never let my groomer cut (he is three lol) I LOVE long ears! Just curious for those of you with long ears that may need to gather them up at times what do you use to band them? I know you have to be very careful not to put anything around the leathers just the hair that falls below the leathers but I often see people with the hair gathered there which would be a nice option sometimes depending on what we are doing and I assume show folks do this quote often for obvious reasons. What product do you recommend to do this with that will not harm the hair and stays put fairly well and are there any tricks of the trade to doing this I should know? Thanks so much! Pic just cause I love him so

Attachments

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
How long is his fur? I can't imagine how long it is if you haven't cut it for 3 years. I'd love to see a photo.

I know someone with a Boykin Spaniel who keeps her dog's ears extremely long - she has her dog wear a loose snood to keep the hair out of food and water bowls. You are probably more interested in covered elastics - covered so they don't damage the hair.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have a show girl and her ears haven’t ever been trimmed (she is only 14 months though!) but protecting the hair is so important for show dogs.

You may not want to do this to your boy regularly but for show dogs they have this done every week. The hair is put into small rubber bands (my girl still doesn’t have super long hair in the front, so the front hair is banded first) then the hair is put into a band under the ear leather. ALWAYS PUT A COMB THROUGH THE HAIR ABOVE A BAND ON THE EARS. To make well sure that a piece of the ear leather isn’t caught in the band.

Then a platic wrap is used to fold up the hair and it is banded in place. I will include pictures of my girl with nothing in her ears, bands only, and bands and wrapped.

Show people usually get their bands (wrapping bands) from Lainee Ltd. but you could get the small no break bands from Sally’s and they should work just as well. Show people also get the long wraps from Lainee. But you can use doggie poop bags if you want to try something out to see if you like it.

If you use bands or wraps or a combination at the very least they have to be taken out (clip them out with one of those plastic letter openers) once a week. Twice a week or more I still better, as they look like a mess really quick. The pic of my dog with the toothbrush was taken last night and I rebanded them two nights before. I also included a pic of my dog in her snood. She isn’t a huge fan of it though. If you want to see more pics of explainations let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much that was great and useful information and the pics really helped! LOVE the idea of the comb! That is my main fear so that makes perfect sense. I do use a snood on him for certain meals and play times with my daughters mouthy pup etc lol and it helps alot too. I will check out that website and see what is available as well. I brush and comb his ears daily to be sure he doesnt get any mats and I would think I would not leave banded more than one day or so so will be sure to brush out thoroughly after. Beautiful dog you have!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
When I am in a hurry or can't be bothered with a snood I use a scrunchy type elastic band! It is tight enough to stay in and doesn't break hair when I take it out!

Attachments

Reactions: Mvinotime
1 - 5 of 5 Posts