Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My vet prescribed my 4 months old toy poodle some ear drops and also ear cleanser. So I have to put drops in her ears 4x a day. The problem is, she is absolutely mortified. She hates it, she runs as soon as she sees the bottle. Me and my husband are doing it together as we have to hold her and she wiggles away every time. She likes her ears massaged and handled but this might change because she gets so sad and concerned after this procedure. We are doing it with treats like cheese, but it does not help. I heard warming them up might help, but even that I am unsure. Do you have any suggestion how to apply these ear drops and does this happen with your puppy too? Thank you

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When my pup was little he was terrible about anything ear related. He has become much better as he's gotten older. I think some of it was age, but also I started using a grooming hammock to do stuff like that. I think the inability to do anything about it sort of made him realize it wasn't so bad. His ears also got less sensitive as they got healthier and after his first couple ear plucking sessions. I use zymox in his ears about once a week, and that's good enough to ward off infections. It is popular for this purpose and was advised by my vet. You may consider this to prevent future issues, and if you are concerned about your ability to get the drops in there, maybe consider a grooming hammock. I got mine off etsy but they are also easy to make. They also help for nail clipping and foot grooming, so I use mine a lot.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. I hope she gets better. Is the grooming hammock foldable?
Yep it's just a rectangular piece of fabric with holes for the legs cut out, and some attachment for hanging it from something. There's a few different methods of making them but the concept is very simple. I use one like this, but really you could make a very simple one with a single piece of fabric and some zip ties. I actually hang mine from the bar on my oven door due to lack of options, but any method of suspending it will work.

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
Peggy was similarly horrified by our efforts to clean her often goopy eyes. We shifted the energy around the experience by (ugh) feeding her the eye goops after. Now when we approach her eyes, instead of cowering, she's just impatient to get her goop!

Love the grooming hammock idea. We don't have one, but will sometimes put Peggy up on the ottoman when we have a particularly nasty hair tangle to deal with. She's much more open to physical manipulation when she's elevated.

I'd also work hard to pair ear handling with the absolute greatest reward your puppy can imagine. Gracie loathed baths her entire life, despite getting treats during and after. She would shake so hard, it broke my heart.

So one day, in her senior years, I said what the heck and just PILED the treats on her. My husband stood there and kept up a steady stream of her favourites for the entire bath.

And guess what? After that ONE experience, she never shook in the bath again.

In your case, I'd pair the mere sight of the ear drops with something amazing.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I might order one. But right now I need to administrate these ears drops for 7 days. She is not interested in her treats, she is so anxious about the drops, it breaks my heart. We tried cheese and peanut butter. She was shaking so much. I was worried she will break her bones in the spasm type of wiggling she is doing. So weird. I feel so sorry for her.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thank you. I might order one. But right now I need to administrate these ears drops for 7 days. She is not interested in her treats, she is so anxious about the drops, it breaks my heart. We tried cheese and peanut butter. She was shaking so much. I was worried she will break her bones in the spasm type of wiggling she is doing. So weird. I feel so sorry for her.
It may be that she's feeling quite a bit of pain when her ears are messed with if she has a bad infection. In that case there is no amount of treats that will work. You could ask your vet if you can use Claro instead. That's a one time application that will clear up the infection. That way you wouldn't need to put drops in continually.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Poor baby! I've been fortunate to not have ear issues with Emma. Started using PF Wonder Dog once a week since I got her. It kills ear mites, ear ticks, is a fungicide and is anti-bacterial while removing excess ear wax and cleans the ear. I tried one other kind once and it bothered her then I ordered this and she's really good about it. It's non-toxic, no harsh chemicals but needs kept out of eyes. Comes in a 12 oz container.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may be that she's feeling quite a bit of pain when her ears are messed with if she has a bad infection. In that case there is no amount of treats that will work. You could ask your vet if you can use Claro instead. That's a one time application that will clear up the infection. That way you wouldn't need to put drops in continually.
The vet said she has a bit of yeast in her ears. We will ask her for one time application treatment because no matter what we do she is just scared. Poor thing. She is fine after few hours, but she is shaken. I'd much rather she hate the vet than us. She loves her ears being handled, massaged, rubbed, wiped. She just hates the cleanser and the drops. Her ears were smelly and itchy. No mites though just yeast. Thank you all for your suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts