Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I have advise for a good ear cleaner my standard is having a big build up of dirt in her ears I’ve been plucking and cleaning but I would like to purchase something to put in her ear to help me

·
Registered
450 Posts
Can I have advise for a good ear cleaner my standard is having a big build up of dirt in her ears I’ve been plucking and cleaning but I would like to purchase something to put in her ear to help me
Our standard has the hairiest, most waxy ears our vet has encountered. Dog used to have all kinds of problems. Now our Groomer plucks them regularly, and every week I squirt about a 1/2 teaspoon of Burow's Solution in each ear and massage it well into the base of the ear canal. After a day I take unscented baby wipes and carefully wipe out any wax that is visible . Works wonders!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I will swear by Zymox + Hydrocortizone for general ear health. It's not specifically a cleaner but helps to lessen waxy buildup and will prevent ear infections. We do a bit in each ear weekly and I haven't had any issue since I started it. I still like to occasionally clean the wax and I just use a mixture of 1:1 apple cider vinegar and water. I have found that cotton pads are the most gentle and effective thing for ear cleaning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really like MicrocynAH Ear & Eye Care drops.

Is there any reason to pluck the ear hairs other than to prevent infections? I keep them trimmed but Groot doesn’t seem to mind the long hair in there and he’s never had an ear infection.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I will swear by Zymox + Hydrocortizone for general ear health. It's not specifically a cleaner but helps to lessen waxy buildup and will prevent ear infections. We do a bit in each ear weekly and I haven't had any issue since I started it. I still like to occasionally clean the wax and I just use a mixture of 1:1 apple cider vinegar and water. I have found that cotton pads are the most gentle and effective thing for ear cleaning.
I do the same with the same result. I also recently purchased a cleaner which I use periodically as the zymox is a bit oily. I got this on Amazon and so far I am liking it. Lively Pets Dog Ear Cleaner and Ear Infection Treatment - Stops Ear Mites, Yeast & Fungal Infections - Broad Spectrum Veterinary Formula

·
Registered
450 Posts
I really like MicrocynAH Ear & Eye Care drops.

Is there any reason to pluck the ear hairs other than to prevent infections? I keep them trimmed but Groot doesn’t seem to mind the long hair in there and he’s never had an ear infection.
Charlie had a couple of awful ear and yeast infections as a pup, a really painful mess and our vet recommended plucking as his ear hair is so thick it made a solid wax and hair plug. No air could get in. Yeast growth went crazy. Vet said his ear hair quantity is really unusual. Since we started the plucking and weekly Burow's treatment, 2.5 years of zero ear issues. Most dogs aren't like this

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Renn also has deep thick ear hair. I do my best at keeping his ears nearly clean and use the ear zymox about every week and half to 2 weeks. In between I'll use the cleaner to keep them smelling fresh ,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts