Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I just use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. This recipe was recommended by a pediatrician for a child with ear problems to a friend of mine. She has been using this recipe for her dogs for years now and loves it. I started using it when I got Vinnie last year and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had been buying Les Pooch Ear cleaner....nothing else worked the same. But guess what the main ingredients are? Boric Acid and Acetic Acid (vinegar) I have been mixing my own lately too. I still love the Les Pooch bottle for my applicator bottle. I still believe that for a novice who doesn't know what is good, what really works and what is a huge waste of money, the ENTIRE LES POOCH line is fabulous. You just simply can't go wrong. The products really work and with repeated use, it actually heals the skin and ears.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I used to mix something like that, now I just use witch hazel. That has worked best for us thus far than any other cleaner I've tried.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If this ear thing does not clear up with Kiara, I will be trying these, her ears hurt so bad she cries when I have to clean them everyday. It has only bee 2 days so I am hoping she will get better. Right now I am cleaning with EpiOtic and she is on a combo of meds one for the yeast infection and one for the bacterial infection. They are called Baytrill Otic and Conofite, 2 times a day with a cleaning as right before the nighttime dose...Ki-ki is hating it.

After it is cleared up, one of these will be my cleaner of choice...the EpiOtic was $17 for and 8oz bottle:scared:

·
Registered
997 Posts
My vet uses something for mild ickiness and maintenance called Zymox that I love. You only need to use 6 drops in each ear, and it is non-irritating, so less traumatic for the poo. It contains a little cortisone, but also enzymes that go after the bacteria and yeast. I was battling some mild ear goo with Veterinarian's Best, but wasn't getting very far, and Dexter hates it. I started using the Zymox once a day last week and it cleared up pronto. Once things are under control, you can just use it once or twice a week.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have used espree ear cleaner in the past as it worked well and smelled really good (i am extreamly picky on how they smell). If Riley had a problem with his ears though or after plucking then it seemed to irritate him. I would of bought some more, but i found some chris christenson ear cleaner at a dog show. I like it, and it doesnt bother Riley at all. I will stick with that.
I have made the alcohol/vinager before, but i personally cant handle the vinager smell at all!
We use other cleaners at my clinic, but over the years with all the nasty ears ive cleaned i now associate the smell of them with bad ears and it makes me sick. It bothers me enough to not use them on my dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts