Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems really dull(no shine)? is this normal? if not what is normal. also I think he is going through a coat change because it is getting really kinky and long!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
How old is he? I don't think a dull coat is normal. Is he wormed regularly as worms will often cause a dull coat. You could try feeding sardines in oil, I try and give T sardines once a week. The coat might just be damaged, I use a coat rescue product to put back some of the oils I strip out cause I bath him so often.

T is 61/2 months now and no coat change yet although I imagine it's not far away :eek:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have a vet appt next week, but I havent seen any worms in his poo. I am def going to take a sample with me when we go!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's pretty young to have a dull coat. Check with the vet and if all is ok there are lots of things nutritionally that can help the coat. What are you feeding? We used to give Sam cottage cheese everyday when he was little, haven't done it for quite some time and his coat is very dull right now, but he has been on steroids for a few months for a problem we haven't been able to find a cause for and he's a little overweight. The coat condition definitely speaks to overall health.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That's pretty young to have a dull coat. Check with the vet and if all is ok there are lots of things nutritionally that can help the coat. What are you feeding? We used to give Sam cottage cheese everyday when he was little, haven't done it for quite some time and his coat is very dull right now, but he has been on steroids for a few months for a problem we haven't been able to find a cause for and he's a little overweight. The coat condition definitely speaks to overall health.
Is the cottage cheese easy for them to digest? I always thought that dairy like cottage cheese would poddibly give a tummy ache. I want to add to Stings food and improve anything I can. What does the cottage cheese help with?

Do you think thats a better alternative to say yogurt? I don't know much about additive's to the regular dog food.

Thanks for any info you may have in advance!

·
Registered
843 Posts
The sardines are a good idea.
Some people add a spoon of olive oil to food.
Or you can get some fish oil in gel tablets and give one a day.
The change from baby coat to adult coat usually starts at about 12 months.
How often do you bathe him?
Do you brush him frequently?
All that needs to be done on a regular basis,since the hair just keeps growing.
Poodles are high maintanance dogs and if you skip a few days of brushing,it can certainly look kinky and dull.
Cottage cheese is just an extra protein treat or used if you need to put some weight on a dog.
Yogurt is better...IMO...as it helps with digestion.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Didn't mean to freak you out, like I said diet has alot to do with coat. And he is still very young so worms could be a problem. Don't freak out till you talk to the vet and then adjust his diet accordingly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is the cottage cheese easy for them to digest? I always thought that dairy like cottage cheese would poddibly give a tummy ache. I want to add to Stings food and improve anything I can. What does the cottage cheese help with?

Do you think thats a better alternative to say yogurt? I don't know much about additive's to the regular dog food.

Thanks for any info you may have in advance!

Sam's breeder's dogs had beautiful coats and when I commented on them she said she gives them cottage cheese daily. So I started Sam out with it. It never put excess weight on him or anything. He didn't put the weight on till he got older just before he got sick. I don't know anything about yogurt, never used it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am feeding him Blue Buffalo, he likes it. i am going to start the adult food and maybe try the fish oil or cottage cheese.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I give my dogs heart worm meds monthly that are suposed to kill worms too, but last month at the groomer there was a tapeworm on Paris. NO signs in her poop. I don't think ive ever seen a flea on her either.
My dogs did eat a rabbit they killed, it had to be from that.
I wormed them all with a tapeworm killer the vet gave to me.
Maybe that's what your baby picked up?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Pups should be wormed fortnightly until they are 12 weeks of age (especially for tapeworm), every three months after that. Cause we have the kennels I worm our lot every 2 months.

T gets cottage cheese, yoghurt, sardines as well as offal, meat and chicken frames/necks and his dry food as well. All on different days obviously :smile: I have a recipe for a vegie/fruit combo but haven't got to making it yet. I am feeding him based on the BARF diet and the dry food is really just for during the day as I can not always get home to give him a lunch time meal. I am thinking about adding fish oil with Omega 3,6 & 9 as it is suppose to improve coat condition also.

I really don't think there will be anything wrong with him, mostly likely just worms which really is no big deal, you just worm him and then do it regularly and problem fixed.

As you say the blues/silvers don't seem to be as shiney as the blacks so you might just be feeling he looks dull but possibly not as bad as you think. You could always post a pic too ** hint hint** cause we love pics of Dutch.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pups should be wormed fortnightly until they are 12 weeks of age (especially for tapeworm), every three months after that. Cause we have the kennels I worm our lot every 2 months.

T gets cottage cheese, yoghurt, sardines as well as offal, meat and chicken frames/necks and his dry food as well. All on different days obviously :smile: I have a recipe for a vegie/fruit combo but haven't got to making it yet. I am feeding him based on the BARF diet and the dry food is really just for during the day as I can not always get home to give him a lunch time meal. I am thinking about adding fish oil with Omega 3,6 & 9 as it is suppose to improve coat condition also.

I really don't think there will be anything wrong with him, mostly likely just worms which really is no big deal, you just worm him and then do it regularly and problem fixed.

As you say the blues/silvers don't seem to be as shiney as the blacks so you might just be feeling he looks dull but possibly not as bad as you think. You could always post a pic too ** hint hint** cause we love pics of Dutch.
I also make sure my whole group gets wormed at least every 4 months, but if I have a new addition then I worm all of them at the same time as the new one...as a preventative. Unfortunately poodles do seem to enjoy the ummm "backyard buffet" so I figure if they eat droppings with worms in it then they will just turn around and get it too.

I recently started using the Advantage MULTI which is supposed to "do it all"...heart worms, fleas, AND intestinal parasites. It can go on a puppy as young as 7 weeks old and as small as 3 lbs...it comes in different doses according to weight of course.

I am hoping that it does a good job so I don't have to do the worming prevention routine I have been doing...it will make things a lot easier! I would rather put a topical medicine on them than try to shove a pill down their throat ANY DAY!

I plan to keep them on it year round which will be expensive (my vet charges $15.00 for one monthly dose for a 3-10 lb dog) but if I don't have to buy worming meds then in the end the cost will be about the same!

I have my guys on "my version" of the BARF diet and I have noticed their hair grows faster, thicker and is definitely much shinier. I also use dry kibble and leave it out in case they get hungry...if I didn't have the smaller ones to worry about I would not let them free feed, but so far most are in good body weight!

I agree, don't get too worried unless your vet says there is something to worry about...just keep him on the good food you are feeding him, maybe a bit of something extra like the cottage cheese added in case you want to try it.

Years ago when I had a whippet dislocate her "ankle" my vet actually told me to give her MILK added to her food during recovery...um, duh..I didn't because I didn't want to clean up raging diarrhea! Since the important thing is the calcium then something like yogurt, cottage cheese, or in my case I used just slices of cheese which has as much calcium as the milk. I have heard of MANY people using cottage cheese and if TOO MUCH is used then you run into loose stools. I didn't add the cheese to the food, just gave it as a treat before she ate and it didn't cause loose stools.

I am sure that Dutch is a normal little guy and your vet will tell you so! Even something like worms is an easy fix if caught early! Don't worry too much about your little boy, I am sure he is fine!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do the sardines give them nasty fish breath?
Only a little :fisheye: You probably won't want kisses straight afterwards but it's really not too bad. Fish oil in capsules is another alternative, you break it open and add it to their food apparently - sardines in oil are cheaper and T likes them too :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts