Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they seem to all be on his head in his TK area. We just had our first dose of Frontline Plus last night. How long until they are gone? When can I bathe him? What can we do for around the house? We have all hardwood, but I have been noticing bites on the kids that are def flea bites.:heh:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Frontline usually takes 24 hours to get into their system so I would allow a day or two to notice a real difference.

You should wait 2-3 days AFTER a bath to apply frontline as the natural oils in a dogs coat help to absorb it into their system, only bathe the dog with gentle shampoos, no flea shampoo or flea dip as it will probably strip the frontline or greatly decrease how effective it is. I would say to wait a week at least before bathing with anything.

Some shampoo will say that it will not strip topical treatments, I usually use a puppy shampoo or a deoderizing shampoo, something simple!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've heard that Johnson's Baby Shampoo (suds) will drown fleas if you leave it on over 5 minutes. I haven't tried that myself, and I wonder how much it would dry out their skin. Can't be worse than a flea bath....those chemicals are awful.

Like Aiden said, wait before you bathe him. Poor guy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Frontline is a flea preventive and is not suppose to be used to kill fleas that are all ready on your dog.

See if you can get a pill called Comfortis from your vet, it kills all fleas is 30 minutes and for up to a month. Then you can apply a topical preventive.

I have hardwood floors as well and what I do is sweep then mop with Pine Sol or Lysol. Wash all bedding the animal comes in contact with once a week. For your yard you might want to try a bug-b-gone that attaches to your hose or what I like to use is Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) sprinkled on the yard once a month.

Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ALWAYS wash sheets every Sunday, so that is covered. Bug guy is coming tomorrow to spray and then I am off to the vet and dog wash!! Comfortis is the brand? About how much for the pill?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about for the car? Dutch goes everywhere with us so I am thinking I need to do something to the car. We just vacuumed it out, but is there any kind of spray?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Snoops and socks used capstar tablet - one tablet dose.

Maybe you can try putting some lavender in the car, and wipe all the surface down...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts