Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these a decent set of shears for minor home use? The ones I got at the regular pet store are just horrendous! I need something better, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg......Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
if you want a decent shear at a decent price, try Heritage, Roseline's, or Aussiedog's They are all affordable, yet decent for getting started. I personally don't like Double Ducks, but know some who use them (mostly for cutting out mats or other utility type work). IMPO, they are not something you would want as a finishing shear.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bought these when I first started, they are gigantic (wide) and cumbersome, I would go with the Roseline shears, they stay sharp for awhile, and are lightweight. I bought a pair 3 years ago, and I groom SOMETHING at least everyday, and I still havent had to sharpen them :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
on a similar note, i am looking to try to keep the face & tail clean between cuts as i am finding i really like my pup clean shaven (heh)

i was looking at ryan's pet and petedge for clippers to mainly focus on fft (if it's doable). was looking at the wahl and also oster a5

or should i just suck it up and take her to groomers for fft every 3-4 weeks or so?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just get a smaller cordless clipper for FFT. I have the Mini Arco, and I LOVE it! I used to use my Oster Golden, and it was just way to big and cumbersome for me to use in such small delicate areas. I am just starting to learn how to groom my own dogs at home, and have found alot of helpful grooming videos on youtube, as well as great advice on these boards.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Scissors:

If at all possible...picking out scissors are best done by trying them in your hand. If you can find a local dog show where a shear company shows up its best to try all their scissors in your hand till you find one that feels good to you. Something that feels goos to one person won't necessarily be what feels good to you. I have personally tried double ducks in several pairs and some I liked and some I despised! So, you may consider trying to locate a show or even grooming expo.

Clippers:

I would definately try to groom your own fft...it's just too quick and easy to go through the hassel of a trip to the groomers. Not to mention less stressful on your dog and look at it as bonding time=)
A small pair of clippers would work just fine but I typically use my Andis AGC or Oster Golden A5 clippers just fine on whatever I do. It's preference=)

Good luck grooming your doggie!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts