Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I groom my Standard, Savannah, myself. I know that in order to get the nice fluffy look you have to brush and blow them out. My question is what type of dryer is best?

Thanks in Advance,
Melissa

·
Registered
575 Posts
if you want a REALLY great coat prep, then go with a stand dryer! It will take a bit longer, but it's SO worth it. You will notice that your grooms last a lot longer and the dog will mat less.

A high velocity dryer is great for removing most of the water very quickly and setting up the coat for stretch drying, but it's not really going to straighten the coat as well as a heated dryer.

I have both and use the HV to get the water out, then finish (curly coated dogs) with the stand dryer to SET the coat. Some times, with small poodles or bichon's, I just use the stand dryer 100% and it really does make a huge difference in the finished groom.

You can also save A TON of time it takes to dry if you use the car drying towels (walmart $5) to help suck out the excess water before using a regular towel. I like these much better than the Sham-wows or moisture magnet towel.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
can you show me a link to those type towels? i don't shop at wal-mart (haven't in nearly a decade), and i need some way to dry off my pup when i bathe her.

what i usually do is take her on a brisk walk and let her air dry. i'm not going to be doing the grooming on her, but do bathe and brush.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The stand dryer i use is the simpsons superjet, expensive at £400 but well worth it, im a dog groomer so its not just for my dogs.
The HV dryer i brought is the Metro air force commander, again exellent performance especialy as it cost £160 ish (think cheaper now) its small and light, and does a great job on large dogs too.

Have never seen any other stand dryer working, so would be nice to here from people who have different brands.
Bec

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the towels, Cameo - I must see if I can find them in the UK. Are there any good videos or descriptions of how to dry a poodle correctly? I am grooming my toy poodle myself, but find it very difficult to get her coat straight enough. She is a dark apricot, 12 months old, and her coat is still changing from the soft puppy stage.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a couple of old 'Liberty' stand dryers here that work fine, though they're as old as the earth and I don't use them much! LOL! And I have my lovely 'ezycoat' stand/force dryer as well that I use the most cos I wuvs it. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts