Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The groomer us today that Elphaba and scooter both have really dry skin ((which accounts for scooters hair loss and constant scratching))
what would you suggest we use on her?

She said we could give her fish oil or something of that nature, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
897 Posts
All of our dogs get a 1200 mg. capsule in their evening food. I just drop it in whole. The dogs take care of the rest. It's good for the skin, the heart, and also the immune system. DH and I take 2 a day.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dry food ((Diamond Naturals)) and Elphie gets a chicken leg quarter a few times a month as a treat ((not on a schedule which I was told is bad v.v; ))
I've been trying to convince my mom we need to start feeding raw food
but shes living on the cheap side for now xDD

We're going to try the fish oil thing and see if it works

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You could try switching to a dog food that is fish based. Blue Buffalo has a fish based dog food and many others do as well. I'm limited on my quality dog food to Petco or ordering online. I've heard that putting olive oil on the food before feeding does wonders for the skin and coat too.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats actually what the lady told us
she said if we couldn't afford fish oil to try and use canola oil on the dog food
So if the fish oil doesn't work we'll try the canola oil
and if THAT doesn't work I'll make my mom go halfsies on Blue Buffalo with me
((she buys the dog food now lucky for me xDDD))

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
she said if we couldn't afford fish oil to try and use canola oil on the dog food
BB has worked great for mine - changed their coats and skin for the better, not one of them (poms) has thrown up in a long time.

I buy BB at feed stores. MUCH MUCH cheaper then your major pet chains. And the fish oil is cheap you can buy a big bottle for let then $10.00 I have to take 4 a day myself.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
our feed store doesn't sell BB
thats why we use Diamond Naturals ((but I bet we could order it threw them))

yeah we bought a bottle of 600ml a few minutes ago and will start giving it to them tomorrow night
We're going to give it to all 3 of the dogs just because if 2 are dried out the other might be as well and I can't see a reason not to give it to him either ^_^

·
Registered
897 Posts
Keep your eyes open for sales on fish oil pills. You can often find them on sale, or bogo (buy one, get one free).

I totally agree that a good food is also important. I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, a fish based food that is rated highly. It doesn't seem more expensive to me than the garbage food that has lots of fillers/grains in them. I get mine at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Keep your eyes open for sales on fish oil pills. You can often find them on sale, or bogo (buy one, get one free).

I totally agree that a good food is also important. I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, a fish based food that is rated highly. It doesn't seem more expensive to me than the garbage food that has lots of fillers/grains in them. I get mine at Tractor Supply.
What do you do for the fish breath?? I have a week stomach and my 2 standards have awful fish breath! The Poms dont and they eat the same thing's. I live with it because of their skin and coat but poowee.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What do you do for the fish breath?? I have a week stomach and my 2 standards have awful fish breath! The Poms dont and they eat the same thing's. I live with it because of their skin and coat but poowee.
You could given them some homemade dog cookies made with mint ;)

Diamond Naturals is a perfectly fine food to feed and I would try the fish oil before switching foods. I would look to see if you can get Salmon oil instead of the combined fish oils, it helps with the bad breath and you know exactly what fish the oil is coming from.

Oh and you can try adding a bit of Olive Oil as well, I have been told this helps.

Dry skin is tricky, it could be a number of things.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there, but I've been told that Salmon oil is best and good quality fish oil doesn't smell. Quality plays and important role in any supplement. (Buying a Walmart brand is probably a complete waste of money.) Just saying. I've given the Salmon oil and while it smells awful until the dogs eat it, I've never noticed the dogs smelling bad.

Also, just b/c the food you are feeding is a good quality food, it doesn't mean it's the right food for your individual dogs.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would stay away from canola or any other plant based oils. They dont have as many omega 3's (which is what will help and are SO important to dogs, not just for the skin), and dogs dont need plant sources (they are meat eaters after all). Fish oil isnt that expensive.

I give Riley salmon oil in a pump (if i try to give him a gel cap he will sniff it and Slowly back out of the room!! LOL!). Every fish pill ive tried though (salmon or not) has a fishy smell to it. I think its good to give all year round. You cant really overdose on it either. I was actually doing an "experiment" one summer and giving Riley a Huge amount of fish oil (i want Trying to overdose, my goal was something else). The only "side effect" was that he started to smell like a fish after a couple weeks and got oily! He woud walk by and you could smell the fish!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Don't use Canola, use corn oil (people really shouldnt be eating canola oil either) just put about 3 tbsp on her meals and give her like an egg a week.

Its probally more of the fact that you have the heater on, and that dries everyone out in the winter

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Vacheron has said that she gives fish oil (I believe salmon) to her boys and they do NOT smell fishy but she buys the ones from GNC so you might try those if you are getting a fishy smell.

Also for a dog with very dry skin, I'd say that you need to make sure that you use a good shampoo and conditioner for dry skin and rinse the dog until they are like a drowned rat to get it all out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree that the fishy smell is a pain, but I try to ignore it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you keep the fish pills frozen, they won't cause fish burps. A biochemist friend of mine turned me on to that tip 15 years ago. I haven't had a fish burp since, and neither does the Spoo :)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I use fish oil, also. Bug HATES it. I have to pretty much hide it in his food and he still eats around it. He smells mildly fishy, too. Good thing I love fish. lol

I would avoid corn oil. If the dog's skin is already dry and irritated, there's no reason to take a chance of introducing something that could possibly trigger an allergic reaction. Many dogs don't do corn well.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I had the same issue with Jake some years ago. His holistic vet who also switched us to raw, suggested rotating the oils, with a tsp. in the food each day. Day 1: fish oil, Day 1: flax seed oil, Day 3: olive oil. I don't know if that thinking has been replaced by a good fish oil capsule supplement daily, but she seemed to think the variety was good. Honestly though, after we switched to raw his skin got much better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts