Poodle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on how to stop Benni from drinking his bath water and the water that I used to rinse him with from the faucet sprayer. Not only is the water warm, but the bath water has some shampoo being rinsed out into it. I only fill with a few inches of warm water to keep him from getting a chill. I have taught him the "leave it" command but he does not leave the water alone. He is given fresh cool water throughout the day, never restricted so I doubt he is thirsty..
Thankfully, my husband is working from home so it has become a two person job, one to hold him in the utility tub and to keep his mouth away from the bath water and sprayer.

This will be difficult for me once I am bathing him alone.

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Have you tried rewarding for not drinking the water? Your husband could be the treat giver as Benni learns that good things happen when he doesn’t drink the water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we have the treats on hand while bathing when he stands or sits without trying to jump out. He is just so quick with his head reaching for the water coming from the sprayer or downward to get to the bath water.....I will have my husband
keep his head up and treat treat treat so hopefully he will get it... I am just hoping that as he gets older bath time will become a more relaxing event for both him and I.

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
It’s so hard deterring behaviours like that, as it can quickly turn into a game (at least to them). If Benni is anything like Peggy, the more attention I give a behaviour—even if I’m just trying to interrupt it—the more interesting it becomes.

For that reason, I’d pick my battles and let him drink from the sprayer. Why not, right? It could be a fun distraction from the soapy water. And don’t plug the tub. He won’t get cold with warm water running over him, just like you don’t get cold in the shower. Plus, it’s very hard to fully rinse a poodle who’s standing in suds, and they can take a while to drain out if you don’t leave the plug open from the start. That’s the time Peggy is most likely to try and hop out.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Phoebe is a serial sprayer drinker also. I try to use the sprayer too close to her skin for her to get in her licks. A few baths ago, maybe 2 months ago, she managed to drink so much she couldn’t hold it for drying and ended up peeing on the table. 😳 She hated it and it frustrated me (though I tried not to show it). After that day, I have tried much harder not to let her drink any of the bath water by holding it very close to her and by turning the sprayer off when not in use.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
716 Posts
I totally agree with Peggy.
Don't bother plugging the bath, I doubt that it makes a difference in keeping him warm even if he did need it (I shower Raffi in our semi-heated shop and he's fine).
And, why are you concerned about 5he drinking anyway? Warm water is not going to hurt. A bit of shampoo diluted with water is not going to do anything either. Of course you don't want him drinking large amounts of the soapy bath water but like Peggy said, making this into an issue is probably increasing his effort. Poodles thrive on challenge lol!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Winnie does the same. The shampoo is extremely mild and very diluted so I just let her do it and try to finish as quickly as possible which is easier if she is occupied. It's never done her any harm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts