Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

Okay I have been useing a Dremel on Cardi's nail. It has been going well, but I have a question for those of you that also Dremel their dogs with black nails. When do you know when you are close to the quick? I do not want to hit it, but would like to get as close as I can so it will recede.

Please help. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Cant answer that fully. I only go to where I would normally cut it off. I have never found even if I went just that bit further that it would bleed at all. Never had a dog scream on me that was use to it, so just assuming if you went to far, the dog will certainly let you know. Sorry cant help you much.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There is usually a faint curve in the nail and that's where the quick starts. Its hard to explain with out a visual. My vet showed me where years ago and we have never dremeled pass the quick yet.

Of course now that I say that it will happen. lol My dogs are up for a trimming this weekend so I wil take a pic of what they showed me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Wow Kela, that must take you forever to cut his nails. lol

I just looked at Mickey's nails and I cant't even see the curve area my vet showed me years ago. lol I think he showed me that on a puppy which it alot more evident than a adult dog.

I just dremel nails until I know Im getting close( when its getting pretty short ) and then watch it carefully from there. A little blood won't hurt your dog if an accident happens. There is a powder you can buy just in case you hit the quick. Its stops the bleeding fast. We have never hit the quick since we got our dremel. Its been atleast 4 yrs now.

Oh and we round them off so they don't have a sharp edge. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes! Quik Stop I think it is called...that is a MUST for anyone who does their own dog nails. If you've ever accidentally gone to far, you know that that nail will bleeeed for a long long long time.

It doesn't take me that long. If I really go awhile in between nail sessoins, ill clip a chunk first then dremel the rest.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yep, thats the stuff. Funny thing is, they usually don't even know we got the quick when it happens. Thats what makes a dremel nice.... not a big fan of tradional nail clippers. Well, atleast for large dogs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the quick stop gel. I only cut the quick when I used the nail clippers. I think I'm pretty close to the quick useing the Dremel, but I just really can't tell. I guess it's more trial and error.

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When the black nail starts to get a little white spot in the middle, you are there - very close to the quick. I cut both my girls' nails but only do it little and often. My vet also seems to have a different view on the length of nails than show people. If the nails are not going past the end of the paw, then they won't cut them. Show people seem to want them a great deal shorter. I err on the side of caution and have not yet hit the quick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you highhorse for that info. I will look for that when I am dremeling his nails. I like to keep his nails short enough so they don't click on the hard floor when he walks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts