Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those who are having to figure out grooming while in lockdown.
I have been using a dremel for the nails but can't seem to get the hang of doing the nails on the back feet.
The front ones aren't a problem, in fact I feel pretty confident with those. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw this video & have looked at others online but they seem to be all on the front feet & sort of breeze thru the back feet.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I've dremeled back nails on big dogs, even black ones, but I'm finding it hard to give advice because I don't know the particular problem you are having. Is it positioning your dog?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be positioning. The front ones seem pretty straight forward, easy to do in fact. Yet the back ones, I am not even sure how to set up & what to do. The just seem different. The dremel chatters at times. I am at a loss of how to explain it. It was so much easier to have the groomer do it :-(
I am not optimistic when I try the actual grooming part (my clippers get here today).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What position is your dog when you do them? You may try having your dog lay on their side, or on their back between your legs or another person's legs. That's the position recommended by our trainer. I think when I've done it I just had the dog sit normal and slightly elevated the foot so I could get a good angle with the dremel. Having another person to help can be useful.

My mini hates dremel but is fine with clipper so we just take off 1-2 mm every week.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been having her stand so will try having her lie down or on her back. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I lay Poppy on the couch with her legs sticking out from the edge. I sit on a footstool next to her and her feet are then pretty much in my lap when I dremel. I hold each toe, one by one between my index finger and thumb and dremel them one by one. After a few times doing this Poppy pretty much sleeps through this now. If the nails have gotten extra long then dremel them a little every four days until proper length.
IMG_7623.JPG

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to all who posted here. It went really well today & I think I have a handle on it now. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's hard to describe suggest you search for videos maybe u find one. I do mine and 3 steps: 1. Secure the dog using the haushalter Onto the green grooming table 2. Right rear leg. Approach the dog from the rear put your arm between his rear legs and Support his leg on your forearm. Separate is toes with your hand and grind away. 3. Do the opposite on his left rear. Haha this is much harder if you're right handed but you'll get a hang of it. If not you only got one Paw left. Do the best you can.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I guess I will have to get a dremel. Can somone recommend the best one that is easy to use? I have arthritis too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to get a new dremel but I also got the attachment which is very lightweight & maneuverable. The instructions say the dremel should be higher than the attachment but I haven't had a problem not doing that. I am not good with grooming but it is getting manageable. Anything lighter-weight helps me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I guess I will have to get a dremel. Can somone recommend the best one that is easy to use? I have arthritis too.
I have a dremel which I hardly use because if you don't have the hair trimmed down it can get caught. I also didn't like the switch on it- it goes side to side, it is multi speed, but I found for me I didn't feel confident to shut it off if hair got caught.
I bought for cheap on Chewy (a lot less than the dremel,) the furminator grinder because it has a guard around the top- it does the job.
FURminator Nail Grinder For Dogs and Cats - Chewy.com.
Unlike the dremel it isn't rechargable, so you have to use batteries, but the replacement heads are cheap, it also keeps the dust from the air.
It is pretty light weight. Meanwhile my dremel is gathering dust, but I'll find a way to work with it eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts