Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've had no problems with the dremel but I've been told that puppies cry from getting their nails dremeled. I don't like dremeling to the quick but I know some people do that. I don't know what the right thing to do is on nail length.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My poodles do real well and the poms are coming along. I was always told to stop right before the quick. I will dremel but I dont "clip". I am curious how often everyone does it and whats a good length? I feel our dogs are too long.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think length is mostly personal preference, but do not dremel the quick. I like nails to be under a cm long.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think length is mostly personal preference, but do not dremel the quick. I like nails to be under a cm long.
Well I was told by someone that she dremels till the nail gets a spot of blood and stops. It's probably why her puppies also screamed their heads off whenever they had their nails dremeled. I'd think that would burn really bad and hurt them. I always found that cruel but never said anything. I've never had a puppy of mine cry from the dremel.

Mia's nails aren't long, they don't click on the floor but by show standards they'd be too long I bet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I dremel Poppy's also. Try to do a little to them every week, but they still seem to be longer than I'd like. I have yet to hit the quick on her, but I do go to near it, well at least on her nails that I can see it, with her being a parti she has a mix of black and white nails. One is even half black and the other side white. Is there a way to get the quick to back up so I can get them shorter?

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you do them every few days the quick will back up on its own.
I didn't think you could dremmel till they bled but never tried either. I have clipped to short and what a mess. I have just started dremmeling them so it never happens again.
I always dremmeled my Mastiffs by the kids feeding him cheerios and me going to town on his nails while he lied on the ground.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do them every few days the quick will back up on its own.
I didn't think you could dremmel till they bled but never tried either. I have clipped to short and what a mess. I have just started dremmeling them so it never happens again.
I always dremmeled my Mastiffs by the kids feeding him cheerios and me going to town on his nails while he lied on the ground.
Yeah you can, I did it by accident with Harry this last time. Harry's nails grow ridiculously fast and I've had to have the vet cut them back for me before when he was under getting his neutering done. I can't imagine how that burns if you hit the quick with a dremel. I felt really bad. It bleeds a lot less because you aren't slicing off part of the quick like if you would hit it with clippers but it still bleeds a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts