Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Dremel for pet care and it gets hot incredibly quickly. After Asta just flinched after using it for less than a minute, I tried it on my own nails and yes it did get hot quick and was painful. Can't blame Asta.

Now is there some tool that would not get as hot so quickly? I'd really like to grind them down. Nail clippers are somewhat out of the question with his black nails. I don't want to accidentally cut his quick (lots of quicks in this post - LOL)

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one is a Dremel. Dremel Pet Care. One hot item.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You should only use a dremel on each nail for a few seconds at a time or you can get things feeling pretty warm. So if you need to spend more time on one nail, move on and come back. Also if your dog's nails are really long, cut them first so you don't need to use the dremel for so long. Then once they're short you can upkeep them each week with the dremel so you're just taking off little bits at a time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got this Dremel for pet care and it gets hot incredibly quickly. After Asta just flinched after using it for less than a minute, I tried it on my own nails and yes it did get hot quick and was painful. Can't blame Asta.

Now is there some tool that would not get as hot so quickly? I'd really like to grind them down. Nail clippers are somewhat out of the question with his black nails. I don't want to accidentally cut his quick (lots of quicks in this post - LOL)

TIA
I used to have a dog with white feet and always trimmed her nails without worry. Am 'way too afraid to tackle black-nailed Charlie and take him to a groomer. Kudos to you for doing Asta, let me know if you find a better tool

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I use a regular cordless dremel on Poppy. When I accidentally let her nails grow too long I have to dremel her nails a little bit every four days. This gives time for the quicks to shrink back between sessions. As Mysticrealm said, do each nail a little bit, then move on to the next. Do all feet then repeat, if necessary. This keeps them from getting hot. Poppy now sleeps while I do hers.

Here is some helpful visual information about doing nails. Best of luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
We've got this one: https://www.renspets.com/products/andis-nail-pro-2-speed-nail-grinder

My friend who's a Weim breeder always suggests Dremels, so I wonder if maybe yours has a manufacturing issue.

We got it on sale for around $15. It has held up well and has never gotten overly hot. We take our time with Lyla too, so we are pretty impressed with it. Now Lyla's nails are also pretty small, haha.

I find if you clip a tiny amount of the nail off first, and then start grinding, the nail seems to file down much quicker for some reason. If I don't clip a bit first, it seems to take longer. Maybe the end of the nail kind of stiffens or hardens between sessions?

I also go on angles at the nail, never directly on the flat end. I gently press on the nail for only short moments, never holding it on the nail longer than a couple seconds. I make a > shape on the two sides, and then do the same shape on the top and bottom rounding it all smooth with the quick poking out slightly. She's never bled or been uncomfortable with that and I think it's helping push the quick back.

Trying to round out the nail takes a while if you try to do that right from the start, so I try to take as much length off as possible creating somewhat flat sides, and at the end when I'm happy with the length I smooth them out. Seems to be quicker and more efficient that way.

I hope you're able to find a grinder that works for you! They're amazing!

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Nail Grinder

I went with the andis CNG-1, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9Q589F/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a true nail grinder (the Dremel just had those sandpaper wheelies) Small, lightweight, low noise. Turbo setting for large dogs. Cordless which I love. Came fully charged and I haven't had to charge it yet. Informative product guide.

Now just trying to get Asta used to it, after his bad experiences with the Dremel. Am leaving it out, letting him sniff it. 3 second touches on a couple of nails at a time.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I just got this head (GBF diamond nail rotary tool) for my Dremel and it works great even on the Pit bull's nails. I think you could order one size smaller because the bowl on the end is pretty deep. I love that part. You can finish off the nail by tapping it in the bowl at the end of the head, and the nail has a nice shape in one easy step. The only thing I had trouble with was that I had not changed the head/bit/sanding band in a very long time, and it did not want to come off. Grumble, grumble, I followed all the directions for removing the head, and finally got the pliers. Why is it that a simple task is always so complicated???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts