Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Wren has been settling in so easily and was very good for two baths and one full shave down so far. He came to me with very overgrown nails which is a huge pet peeve of mine so I used the dremel on him right away after the first bath. The previous owner said he was used to it so I didn’t give it a second thought. He was brilliant and acted like it was nothing. Same after the second bath. I was being very conservative and never got too short or hurt him in any way. So this week I got it out while brushing and he freaked out. I was so shocked! I wasn’t sure how to handle it exactly because I started Raven as a small puppy and she never was bad about and small enough that wiggling wouldn’t have been hard to manage. Since he is full grown and strong as an ox it is a different story. I have gotten it out a couple times and just let it run next to him while petting or giving treats. It is driving me crazy not being able to get them under control! I keep telling myself he’ll come around, I am still so confused about what triggered his dramatically different reaction.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I understand your frustration.

I can’t use it on Merlin anymore. One time I went too deep and it must have burnt a little.

Now I have to take to get his nails clipped, because I don’t use nail clippers myself.

Sigh...

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Dogs are funny about liking things to happen in a familiar sequence... a sequence that we may not even think about as relevant. You said Wren was fine with the dremel after his bath, but not after being brushed. Sounds like for whatever reason he thinks that the dremel is for after bathing, and that at any other time, it is a monster! If this theory holds true, then you can either just dremel after the bath, or start desensitizing based on your dog's acceptance levels. I discovered early on that my pup was used to having his nails done while he was standing; if I had him sit, he was not a happy camper. Now, at five years, he is fine in any position. I must add that Jacknic, his breeder did a wonderful job of getting the pup used to all of his grooming. It was so much easier to work with a pup that had been exposed to proper handling from birth.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was finally able to get his nails trimmed again yesterday. I had done several sessions of just running the dremel by him with treats. Then I had my mother feed him hot dog bits while I trimmed. Finally got all four paws....now I just need to do that about once a week for a while to get them under control. I can’t stand “grizzly bear” claws on my dogs:afraid:

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
If you want to train your dog to grind their own front nails you need...

80 grit sandpaper
a scrap piece of a 2 by 4
Hot glue or strong staples
Good treats

Wrap the sand paper around the 2 by 4 and hot glue it on. Hold the scratch board at a 45 degree angle in front of your dog and wait. At some point, the dog will put a paw on it. Click and treat, or say yes and treat. Click and treat paw touches. Jackpot when the dog scratches the scratch board. Any tiny scratch gets a treat. Slowly lengthen the amount of scratches required before giving the dog a treat.

Noelle loves scratching her scratch board for treats. And her front nails are much shorter. I only grind the back nails now. A lot of dogs enjoy scratching the board, so hide it between sessions so they don't rub their paws raw.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
If you want to train your dog to grind their own front nails you need...

80 grit sandpaper
a scrap piece of a 2 by 4
Hot glue or strong staples
Good treats

Wrap the sand paper around the 2 by 4 and hot glue it on. Hold the scratch board at a 45 degree angle in front of your dog and wait. At some point, the dog will put a paw on it. Click and treat, or say yes and treat. Click and treat paw touches. Jackpot when the dog scratches the scratch board. Any tiny scratch gets a treat. Slowly lengthen the amount of scratches required before giving the dog a treat.

Noelle loves scratching her scratch board for treats. And her front nails are much shorter. I only grind the back nails now. A lot of dogs enjoy scratching the board, so hide it between sessions so they don't rub their paws raw.
Click, you are brilliant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine's still a puppy. But I've had much higher success if I'm relaxed and in a good mood, and if I have a lot of cheese. Sometimes I tab the paw with the back just to show him that there's absolutely nothing bad going on when the Dremel touches his paws (and to calm myself, too).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts