Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rotating between these 2 foods. Gilligan much prefers some form of cooked food over any of the dog foods - S&C or Primal. I even tried a kibble - Castor & Pollux Organix chicken & sweet potato. While he'll eat them, he actual sometimes comes running for Dr. Harvey's or THK, though he doesn't seem too thrilled with THK these days - I think it's the large amount of cabbage. My plan is to rotate between these 2 brands and mix up the proteins so he doesn't get tired of them.

Anyway, in both cases the recommended amount of daily food is an enormous amount for a 8 pound dog who should be about 7 :)

I've been feeding Dr. Harvey's Canine Health mixed in with Veg-to-bowl and he seems to like it. Problem is, when it's rehydrated and protein added, it's a lot of food. They said it would be perfectly fine to mix them together.

I called Dr. Harvey's, and they said I should feed him 1 1/2 scoops per day (or 6 tablespoons) of the mix - which is about 6 tablespoons dehydrated and 7 ounces of protein before it's cooked. I thought them nuts and have given him 4 tablespoons of the food and 6 ounces of raw protein which cooks down to about 5 ounces. The protein is 90/10 ground beef and chicken breast. I also add 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil per day. It's still a lot of food. The feeding guidelines are for 3-8 pound dogs and the range is 1 to 1 1/2 scoops of mix, water, and 4-7 ounces of raw protein PER DAY. I've purchased pork tenderloin to also add to the mix the next time I cook.

Yesterday he actually asked and ate his 2 meals (sometimes times only wants one) and I thought the poor little guy was going to explode after he ate the second meal, since his first meal was only about 6 hours prior.

As a note - Dr. Harvey's office and factory are about 10 miles from my home and they let me drive over to pick up their free trial sizes. They are incredibly nice and helpful and the place smells just like their food - which is just like someone was cooking a human meal. It's also very clean. They would have given me any variety I asked for, but I only wanted the 2.

Does anyone here feed their toy Dr. Harvey's that can give me some advice on feeding amounts? I'm really concerned he's not going to get proper nutrition if I cut back - and I was thinking of cutting back to the amount recommended for a 4 pound dog.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
I feed home cooked meat and vegetables. To maintain ideal weight - around 4 kilos/9 lbs -they each need approximately 100g/3.5 oz meat mix when raw, and minimal carbohydrate. They get around a tablespoonful each of vegetables a day, which is made up of equal quantities sweet potato, green beans and leafy veg. The amounts you quote sound enormous, even for a very active or growing dog!

I would ask for the calorific values of the food, and look up the values for anything else you are feeding - the USDA website is very helpful: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/ You can then work out how many calories he needs (probably around 175-200 a day), and feed accordingly. 4oz of chicken alone would be more than that!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly.... you hit my concern squarely on the head. What you are describing is the amount to feed for a 4 pound dog. They're telling me to feed the maximum amount because he's 8 pounds.

I did the calculations and agree he should be eating 3.5 - 4oz of food per day. I also was feeding him about 150-175 calories.

The base mixes run anywhere from 40-50 calories PER SCOOP. Each scoop holds a little less than 3 tablespoons. One of the varieties have grain (& vegh) and the other does not and is a variety of vegetables. I'm mixing them together. So he's getting about 60 calories from the mix PLUS the protein I add, which is more than 100, and yesterday was DOUBLE THAT !!!!

Dr. Harvey's foods are not AAFCO certified, though they are pretty popular and used by many. I'm concerned about him getting the appropriate nutrients. I do know vitamins are in there as well as ground egg shells for calcium.

I can't thank you enough for all the help you've offered as I make my way through trying to find what he'll eat on a regular basis and happily.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
445 Posts
In general the directions given by dog food manufacturers say to feed much more than what dogs should get. Never follow directions on the bag of food, feed according to what your dog needs. Go by how fit the dog is. If he is gaining too much weight, cut back. If he is getting thin, increase.

Dogs are all different.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would suggest never following the amounts written on the bag/box. There are too many factors that go into losing, gaining, and maintaining weight. Try a dog weight calculator like this: https://petnutritionalliance.org/dog.php

Or this: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/ (I have used this one)

As a side note, I tried The Honest Kitchen (turkey with grains) and loved the quality...but I intended it for Jasper, and he got sick of it very fast. Absolutely refused to eat it, and I wasn't giving it to him every meal. Miracle ended up finishing the box and then I just switched to Purina. I also was impressed with the variety of food they sell, so maybe try a different flavor? I do remember it being a lot of food to feed, even with calories in mind.

Good luck! 🙂

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In general the directions given by dog food manufacturers say to feed much more than what dogs should get. Never follow directions on the bag of food, feed according to what your dog needs. Go by how fit the dog is. If he is gaining too much weight, cut back. If he is getting thin, increase.

Dogs are all different.
I would suggest never following the amounts written on the bag/box. There are too many factors that go into losing, gaining, and maintaining weight. Try a dog weight calculator like this: https://petnutritionalliance.org/dog.php

Or this: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/ (I have used this one)

As a side note, I tried The Honest Kitchen (turkey with grains) and loved the quality...but I intended it for Jasper, and he got sick of it very fast. Absolutely refused to eat it, and I wasn't giving it to him every meal. Miracle ended up finishing the box and then I just switched to Purina. I also was impressed with the variety of food they sell, so maybe try a different flavor? I do remember it being a lot of food to feed, even with calories in mind.

Good luck! 🙂
Thanks to both of you. I cut back to 4 tablespoons of the mix and about 2.5 ounces of protein for the day. I already had them portioned out the meat so I added a bit of scrambled egg to the protein for dinner.

For the first time since I started (almost 2 weeks) he asked for his bedtime snack :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question.

He loves ground beef. I purchase 90/10 beef, weigh it, cook in individual portions.

Do I have to drain off the fat? I know he needs to have some fat in his diet and I've seen some people who drain it off AND rinse it, and some who drain off some. I think the fat in the meat is why he's devouring it :)

I also give him a small piece of Stewart's freeze dried chicken liver every day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts