Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another year of the Rabies Challenge and more data with it.

"The eventual goal was to extend mandated rabies booster intervals to 5 or 7 years and help reduce the risk of vaccine-associated adverse events."

"Vaccinate survival was 80% (4/5) after 6 years 7 months, 50% (6/12) after 7 years 1 month, and 20% (1/5) after 8years 0 months."

More information here... LOTS more information. lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I love that they are doing this research to show that the rabies vaccine has longer lasting immunity and doesn't have to be administered every year, or even every 3 yrs, as is the mandate in my state. I don't love that they used research beagles in the study. I have a family member that worked in a big research company where there were beagles being tested on the floor above him, and he heard the howling and cries all day long. He left that job after a short while, he couldn't stand it. Poor babies!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do think that it's so important that this vaccine research is done! We need to show proof that the rabies vaccine lasts longer than 1 to 3 yrs so that laws can be passed to extend the time between vaccination. I believe we are over vaccinating our dogs, and the only way to change that is to show that immunity is long lasting and dogs don't need yearly shots to prevent them from getting sick. I also wish they would do a similar study for the parvo and distemper vaccines. I have a feeling that in very small dogs, like toys and minis, the immunity can last a lifetime after the puppy series and one year boosters. I'll be titering my toy poodle; he's had his full puppy vaccinations, and his one year boosters, and I'll titer from now on. We don't over-vaccinate our human kids, who get their childhood vaccinations are then are mostly done, and we shouldn't be doing it to our dogs.

That said, the beagle research makes me sick to my stomach. They should not be using dogs or monkeys as research animals!! Beagles are the breed primarily used in research because they are very docile and trusting, which is simply heartbreaking. I'm VERY surprised that Dr. Dodds chose to use research beagles, who never are given an opportunity to live a normal life, and are subject to pain and other unspeakable violations, to do this study.

·
Premium Member
10,017 Posts
I admit that I only got through 1/3 of the article. I will read it in its entirety when I have more time to focus. Thanks for posting CB. I do agree with LoveMy that this research needs to be done, so that laws can reflect current scientific findings. Unfortunately that needs to be done on actual dogs and it’s not pretty. I’m also not a fan, nor necessarily convinced with small sample sizes but this has also been demonstrated with titering. Hopefully our PF scientists will weigh in.

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the results above, I don't see any relaxing of the interval between Rabies boosters.
The authourities sure aren't going to accept anything less than 100% protection.
But it may be helpful for those who titer. What to expect, in terms of protection, at each stage of titering.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,808 Posts
I'm disappointed that protection doesn't extend further. I was one of the many who was hopeful that we could get lifelong immunity or near to it. But I'm grateful that Dodds has done this research and we have greater clarity.

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
My willingness to gamble with rabies is a lot lower than my willingness to gamble with something like distemper or parvo. While all three could kill my dog horribly, rabies is 100% fatal and could also kill people horribly. Rabies is endemic in wildlife in my area, so there is a chance my dog could encounter a rabid animal at some point in his life. Therefore, I think I owe it to both my dog and my people to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It looks like the goal of the study was to get the rabies booster extended to 5 years (instead of the current 1-3 year mandate, depending on where you live). If I'm reading it correctly, this study shows there was 80% immunity at 6 yrs, 7 months. I wonder if they could show 100% immunity at 5 years in a study. If we were able to move to a 5 yr booster, that would substantially reduce the number of times in a dog's lifetime that they would need to be vaccinated.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
It looks like the goal of the study was to get the rabies booster extended to 5 years (instead of the current 1-3 year mandate, depending on where you live). If I'm reading it correctly, this study shows there was 80% immunity at 6 yrs, 7 months. I wonder if they could show 100% immunity at 5 years in a study. If we were able to move to a 5 yr booster, that would substantially reduce the number of times in a dog's lifetime that they would need to be vaccinated.
That would be wonderful. Gracie had a horrible reaction to the rabies vaccine at 10 years old. We got a new vet shortly after that experience and she advised us not to vaccinate her again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts