Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy does this stretch all the time—elbows to the ground, butt in the air. She does it after a nap (which seems normal) but also often while just interacting with us. She'll do a lonnnng stretch, then butt her head into us for a scratch, or pounce on a toy, etc.

It's not a play bow. There's no wagging tail or silly grin. It's a definite stretch. And she does it enough that my husband and I have both noticed.

Does your spoo do this a lot, too? Or could it indicate pain?

She's very relaxed when she does it, so pain seems unlikely. It's just so darn frequent!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I’ve read in a photograph book written by a behavioralist that it’s a body language way to say hi to people the dog loves very much. Fluffy does this too on occasion, and Misty, although she acts like she doesn’t care after she does it 🤣.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very much a stretch, and sometimes accompanied by a fart and a startled expression.
Lol. Peggy is a master farter. No smell, but very loud and frequent. She doesn't even seem to notice them anymore.

My favourite is when she's sprinting around the backyard. She'll often let out a particularly piercing one when she jumps the garden wall.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve read in a photograph book written by a behavioralist that it’s a body language way to say hi to people the dog loves very much. Fluffy does this too on occasion, and Misty, although she acts like she doesn’t care after she does it 🤣.
Aw. I hope that's what it means.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Yep, Floof, this has my vote, too.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Lol. Peggy is a master farter. No smell, but very loud and frequent. She doesn't even seem to notice them anymore.

My favourite is when she's sprinting around the backyard. She'll often let out a particularly piercing one when she jumps the garden wall.
I'm really working hard to restrain myself from hijacking the thread and turning it into a discussion of gassy poodles...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yup, Lo does this all the time. It’s often when she gets up from napping or cuddling or sometimes just because. It’s often accompanied by a fart (like a squeak - but not smelly). Her favourite is stretching from the couch or bed (back legs) and putting her front legs on the floor and ensuring her butt is directly facing us when she squeaks 🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just caught Peggy nibbling and wrapping herself in a bath towel that was on the floor, and she bow-stretched in response to my playful "What are you doooing?" question. Seemed almost like appeasement.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Mia has two farts: the stretchy "poof", like @vandog 's Lo. It's usually when she gets up on to a couch or does the play bow stretch, and seems to take her by surprise most of the time. 🐩 🌬

The second is a light odor of fart emanating from her back end, with no discernible noise or even tilt of the tail. These seem to occur when she needs to poop. BTW, have I mentioned that she's become a once a day pooper? We've been decreasing her food, and well, I guess it's only natural that the output would diminish as well. 🐩🌬😜

And then there are her burps. Oh my does she burp. For every fart she must give 4 or 5 burps. It's often when someone has stopped us to admire her that she let's one rip. People seem to respond with shocked laughter, although I think some are offended (as if a dog meant any offence). I usually respond that it's better to let the gas out this end than the other, but I don't think that mitigates the alleged offence.

No matter which way the gas escapes, I'm always glad that she's tacked and won't suffer any torsion.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
It’s also a calming signal. My dogs do it often when they want to ask me something or to get my attention.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Asta stretches when he wakes up from a nap, sleep. Also the classic, I want to play. But no farts here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts