Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH :eek:hwell:

I read thru all of these topic's and can't believe the amount of groomer bashing that goes on. Granted, there are some groomers out there that should be working at Walmart (no offense to anyone that works there) instead of grooming, but geesh y'all, give the rest of us a break!!!

There are a BUNCH of groomers that do a great job, love what they do, and care about your pets. We don't deserve to be lumped into the same category with the not so great ones. There are even groomers that MAY not do a perfect groom, but LOVE your pets and IMO, that should count for something. Y'all are bout to give me a complex, lol. After all, it IS just hair and it WILL grow back.

Sure, we charge a lot, keep your dog longer than you feel we should, may ake a while to get your dog in for grooming, etc... but we do this for a living and are lucky enough to do what we love doing and we have the pleasure of getting to know your beloved furbabies :)

I dont' want to offend anyone, but some times it's hard to take all the "down with groomers" talk. Sorry, just had to put this out there. Now I'll go back into my corner

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I don't think it's about "GROOMERS" lumped into one at all.:) I think it is more about the customers bad experience that they entrusted their dogs and that the groomer they chose sucked. I would not take it personally.

People are sharing their experiences - it's not a groomer bashing at all. I dont think so anyway. Regardless of how much a groomer might care - if the customer is not satisfied and on top of it- its their fur babies that the customer loves and wanted a great result and did not get it. Thats very upsetting. :scared:

By sharing the experience here, great groomers who are confident give advice and teach us inexperienced people (ME) how to ask the right questions, what to look for in a groomer, what to buy, the list is endless.

I personally admire groomers, good ones ;) because it is a helluva job and right now I am still on a search for a good groomer.........and honestly after the threads here, it might take me a while because I am a little freaked at some of the horror stories........so my spoos will be in amateur cuts until I find the right one. CHILL - it's not about steriotyping anyone on this forum, or I am blind and cannot see......it's the same with breeders, look at all the horror stories that are shared....you can't take it personally.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You have to understand this is a pet owners forum. If you go to a groomer's forum, there is post after post about how idiotic and dilusional anyone who tries to groom their dog at home is. I could complain about it, but I understand it's a forum for professional groomers. There are great groomers out there but I don't think they are that common.

For the record I don't think there is groomer bashing here. People have commented on costs and yes individual groomers are criticized when there is a reason. I don't think that's the same as bashing groomers in general.

·
Registered
112 Posts
yeah - my sweet boy was a victim of a hack job. After posting on the board here - i learned the questions to ask the next groomer etc. I'm armed with a list of them!

he now has a matching hacked off top knot (first groomer) to match his chicken nugget tail (thanks to breeder or vet)

okay now i'm venting :doh:

thanks to all of you on this board for providing your insight

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
To quote cbrand, "I don't know what you want us to say to you." I don't understand the point of this thread. Like others have said if you have a negative experience you seek out other people to share that experience with to get the "it's going to be okay" pats on the back. It's not like everyone really thinks every single groomer is just awful but it's a business and it's going to get critiques from clients. In this day and age, everything that makes money is going to get some form of critique on the internet and especially if the business has made a mistake.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The reason we all joined this forum is because we love this breed, however, groomers do come under fire where breeds like the poodle are concerned. It's just that it's hard to hear over and over. Those of us that are good groomers do it because we love dogs. We do have to charge the prices we charge because of the work we have to put into it. We care about the dogs and about your experiences with our trade. It is hard to listen and not be able to do anything other than give advice to those who choose to groom their own. I understand where Cameo was coming from. It's not fun to be a groomer and read about all the bad experiences.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Who's putting down groomers?? We're just trying to find what's best for our dogs and compare notes.

HOw many posts have you read where people post pictures and brag about how beautiful their dog is aft it's been groomed??

Being a new poodle owner, I've found the whole grooming thing to be a ton of fun. What other breed do you have such a wide range of choices when it comes to hair styles? You bring your dog to the groomers, and bring back a stranger that barely resembles the dog you dropped off.....what fun!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally admire groomers, good ones ;) because it is a helluva job and right now I am still on a search for a good groomer.........and honestly after the threads here, it might take me a while because I am a little freaked at some of the horror stories........so my spoos will be in amateur cuts until I find the right one. CHILL - it's not about steriotyping anyone on this forum, or I am blind and cannot see......it's the same with breeders, look at all the horror stories that are shared....you can't take it personally.
Yes it is and thank you!

The bolded part of your quote is part of what I'm talking about. So many people are telling their HORROR stories and being told to just "buy the stuff and do your own grooming" that it really gives the impression there are no good groomers.

I am very confident in my skills and realize I'm not a GREAT groomer (good, but not great), but I do go to seminars, take continuing education classes, and try to buy the best I can afford when it comes to tools, equipment, and products in order to best serve my clients. I am a member of several groomer forums and yes, there are groomers that vent about their clients yadda yadda yadda. I don't play into that either because my clients are my life blood and while I have a few that can be a challenge, each and every one of them deserves 150% when they are paying for my services and I think it's wrong to go onto a public forum and berate them. It does show a bit as unprofessional IMHO to behave in that manner and if I was a prospective client, it would probably make me think twice about going to someone like that.

Also, I can SOOOOOO see where you all are coming from and can't blame any one for being upset if your "baby" was hacked up, cut, or weren't groomed to the best of the groomers ability. BUT (and I mean no disrespect), there can be extenuating circumstances in some cases and it's very important to communicate with your/the groomer when there is something not right about a service you received. You just never know WHY, if you don't ask and at least give the groomer an opportunity to explain or inform. Another point I'd like to make here is, we learn by our mistakes and if we are not aware we are making any, then there is no chance to learn. Your feed back should be very important to a professional groomer, as it enables us to provide you with the service you deserve and the grooming you want. Be specific about what you like and what you don't! Understand there are times when things are beyond our control (like excessive mats, behavior problems, etc) and we can only do so much (we are only groomers). We (groomers) work with moving targets, sharp instruments, and high demands, all of which can make for a very stressful environment, but it really makes it so much easier to have pet guardians that are understanding and willing to work WITH us to make the grooming experience as low stress for ALL of us as possible :)

I appreciate each and every one of you that are sharing your stories and hope that we can hear some of your groomer SUCCESS stories as well.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
UGH :eek:hwell:

I read thru all of these topic's and can't believe the amount of groomer bashing that goes on. Granted, there are some groomers out there that should be working at Walmart (no offense to anyone that works there) instead of grooming, but geesh y'all, give the rest of us a break!!!

There are a BUNCH of groomers that do a great job, love what they do, and care about your pets. We don't deserve to be lumped into the same category with the not so great ones. There are even groomers that MAY not do a perfect groom, but LOVE your pets and IMO, that should count for something. Y'all are bout to give me a complex, lol. After all, it IS just hair and it WILL grow back.

Sure, we charge a lot, keep your dog longer than you feel we should, may ake a while to get your dog in for grooming, etc... but we do this for a living and are lucky enough to do what we love doing and we have the pleasure of getting to know your beloved furbabies :)

I dont' want to offend anyone, but some times it's hard to take all the "down with groomers" talk. Sorry, just had to put this out there. Now I'll go back into my corner
None of our comments are meant to hurt or offend, just educate. I was a professional groomer for years, and still do my own and the occaissional others, and I really cannot believe the quality of late. I pointed out in another thread that after four attempts at four different groomers, and repair jobs right after by me, three hours away, my sister's family FINALLY have found a good groomer in their area. They are out there, you just have to look for them, and unfortunately you basically have to have your dog hacked and wrecked to know someone is not good. It is not like buying a car...a Ford is a Ford, and a Lexus is a Lexus. If you pay too much, shame on you. When you take you beloved pet to someone to give it a great groom, and pay through the nose for it, and it comes out looking worse than when you left it, I think one has a right to complain. But, you live and learrn and do not go back to the ones who claim they know all and put you in a position where it takes six months to get a decent top knot again.

Nobody is pointing a finger at you. This is a good place to learn what to look for, what to ask, where to get more info...on groomers, breeders, handlers, equipment..,.all things Poodle.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't feel its groomer bashing...but I have to admit, I go to grooming shows and I meet groomers all the time who ask the dumbest questions and they claim they've owner their own shop for 20 years. I want to bash my forehead and say "I pitty the poor dogs who go to you!"

BUT if you think poodle grooming is an art and hard to find a good one, OMG you should see what its like trying to find an EXPERT CAT groomer. My daughter is a CFMG (certified feline master groomer) The nightmare horror stories she sees and hears would curl you hair. Almost every client that finds her gives her huge tips because they are so glad they found an expert the can trust. So don't forget, if you have a great groomer...tell them how much you appreciate their fine job....tips are hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't feel its groomer bashing...but I have to admit, I go to grooming shows and I meet groomers all the time who ask the dumbest questions and they claim they've owner their own shop for 20 years. I want to bash my forehead and say "I pitty the poor dogs who go to you!"

BUT if you think poodle grooming is an art and hard to find a good one, OMG you should see what its like trying to find an EXPERT CAT groomer. My daughter is a CFMG (certified feline master groomer) The nightmare horror stories she sees and hears would curl you hair. Almost every client that finds her gives her huge tips because they are so glad they found an expert the can trust. So don't forget, if you have a great groomer...tell them how much you appreciate their fine job....tips are hugely appreciated.
Partial, at least they are going to seminars!!! Kinda makes you wonder how they've been getting along all those years, lol.

Cat groomers are one in a MILLION!! I don't do cats, cause I like my hands, fingers, and face INTACT, hehe. I'll leave them to the cat PRO'S :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I've said it before and I will again. I WISH some of the groomers that are on this forum lived near me!! I would be at your tables in a heartbeat, and I do appreciate the groomers that support my home cuts I have done as well suggestions and creative ideas and so on......:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
So many people are telling their HORROR stories and being told to just "buy the stuff and do your own grooming" that it really gives the impression there are no good groomers.
This statement makes me cringe every time. Its not that simple ;) As you can see not even people who claim to be groomers can "buy the stuff and do it".

You live and learn with choosing a groomer, I have many people who went to the shop that can afford the fancy advertising and when they hacked up their dog they found me after asking around. It seams like now a days every schmo with set of clippers are opening up shop and calling them selves groomers. Its not like a hair salon there are no dog grooming state boards that you are required to pass.

I'm not bothered by "groomer bashing" because I know how hard it is to groom well that when the people who "buy the stuff and do your own grooming" come crying when they have a bald hacked up dog who needs a fix up my job will be there in the morning. :)

Choosing a groomer is like choosing a breeder not all of them know what they are doing but when you find a great one stick with them.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
IMO there is absolutely NO 'groomer bashing' or 'down with groomers' talk on this forum. I'm surprised really by how very very little groomer bashing there is actually!

Now, there is CERTAINLY individual bashing, and "down with XXX groomer" talk, but it has NEVER been generalised to mean all groomers! Generally in any 'omg, bad groomer' threads there are any number of stories about people who had terrible groomers, but have now found a great one, as well as suggestions to go BACK and talk to the groomer about something, or more suggestions on what to be looking for next time when tryign to find a good groomer. There has never ever been the suggestion that all groomers charge too much and are bad.

Generally the suggestions to learn to home groom are from those who have run out of many options for finding a decent groomer they can get to and/or afford; NOT because it is deemed most groomers are crap therefore you should only do it at home! But for people who live out of the way, or only have a few local groomers, or simply can't afford the high level of grooming that poodles require (heck, if I didn't groom, I couldn't afford to pay for it either!) then SURE home grooming is a great idea!

For those who have had minor problems it's generally suggested to go back to the groomer and talk to them, or suggestions are offered in finding a new groomer.

No groomer bashing happens on here, not nearly as much as the client bashing as goes on on the grooming forums anyway! haha!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I posted a thread about what I thought was a bad groom of my three poodles (and it was) as well as some serious bruising that Sport had I thought at the time it was the result of bad grooming. But many of you suggested that it sure looked like something much more serious and unfortunately you were right. The thread started out with me being quite upset with my groomer and ended up with finding out that Sport had serious health issues that had nothing to do with the grooming he had received.

The value of this forum is that we can share information with each other and hopefully learn from each other's experiences. Ok sometimes we get upset and aren't as tactful as we should be. Certainly I know there are some amazing groomers out there and I totally admire their work. Unfortunately as with any industry there are some really lousy ones as well. Sometimes a really good groomer gives a dog a really bad haircut. I've got to say though this forum has also shown me many other clips that I wasn't aware of and handed out some amazing advise.

To the many wonderful groomers out there I think that at least one of you should just pack up shop and move closer to me. Trust me I'd be there like a shot.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
This statement makes me cringe every time. Its not that simple ;) As you can see not even people who claim to be groomers can "buy the stuff and do it".

You live and learn with choosing a groomer, I have many people who went to the shop that can afford the fancy advertising and when they hacked up their dog they found me after asking around. It seams like now a days every schmo with set of clippers are opening up shop and calling them selves groomers. Its not like a hair salon there are no dog grooming state boards that you are required to pass.

I'm not bothered by "groomer bashing" because I know how hard it is to groom well that when the people who "buy the stuff and do your own grooming" come crying when they have a bald hacked up dog who needs a fix up my job will be there in the morning. :)

Choosing a groomer is like choosing a breeder not all of them know what they are doing but when you find a great one stick with them.
That disdain for those who try to do it themselves is what bothers me. Everyone starts somewhere. If someone is dedicated, there is no reason that can't groom their dog just as well if not better than a pro. Vacheron and Kpoos come to mind. Vacheron's show boy looks amazing and Kpoos first ever attempt at a Continental trim was awesome. I've seen many much worse clips posted by professionals on the groomer's forums.

IMO there is absolutely NO 'groomer bashing' or 'down with groomers' talk on this forum. I'm surprised really by how very very little groomer bashing there is actually!

Now, there is CERTAINLY individual bashing, and "down with XXX groomer" talk, but it has NEVER been generalised to mean all groomers! Generally in any 'omg, bad groomer' threads there are any number of stories about people who had terrible groomers, but have now found a great one, as well as suggestions to go BACK and talk to the groomer about something, or more suggestions on what to be looking for next time when tryign to find a good groomer. There has never ever been the suggestion that all groomers charge too much and are bad.

Generally the suggestions to learn to home groom are from those who have run out of many options for finding a decent groomer they can get to and/or afford; NOT because it is deemed most groomers are crap therefore you should only do it at home! But for people who live out of the way, or only have a few local groomers, or simply can't afford the high level of grooming that poodles require (heck, if I didn't groom, I couldn't afford to pay for it either!) then SURE home grooming is a great idea!

For those who have had minor problems it's generally suggested to go back to the groomer and talk to them, or suggestions are offered in finding a new groomer.

No groomer bashing happens on here, not nearly as much as the client bashing as goes on on the grooming forums anyway! haha!
Flyingduster you rule and it's great to hear that from a long time member and extremely talented groomer! Not only are you talented but you love dogs and never talk down to anyone. If we all had groomers like you nearby a lot fewer of us would groom ourselves. :rock:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I don't think that it is all groomer bashing. Many of the groomers that were complained about did a really bad job of the owners' dogs. And many of those were backed up with pictures to prove it. Bad grooms do happen. But certainly not all grooms or groomers.

I wish i had the choice of seeking out a groomer who would do the Continental on my two dogs. There isn't a one anywhere within a reasonable distance who will even do that clip on a poodle. I HAVE to do my own and it isn't always pretty.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts