Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are these dogs so out of control and crazy ?

I had to take Beckie to the vet today to have her anal glands emptied. When we entered the clinic, well, even before entering, we could hear loud barking. Very loud.

When we entered, I saw those two gigantic doodles, handled by the same woman (they were basically dragging her around), jumping up, pulling ahead and frantically barking at a miniature poodle puppy. They were almost blocking the entrance and the barking was so loud my ears were ringing and my head hurting.

Poor Beckie was trembling in fear so I picked her up and kept her away from the two monsters. This went on until the vet tech called them for their appointment, 10 minutes later.

The puppy owner, not very knowledgeable, asked if they were nice dogs and the woman said «*yes, they were. They just wanted to play*»... So the puppy owner got closer to the dogs, but fortunately when she saw the dogs barking in more frenzy and the owner almost losing her grip on the leashes, she backed away. When they were gone, I tried to explain to her that even if people say their dogs are friendly, the risk of a big dog (they were 70-80 pounds) stepping on the puppy is very real and this could result in serious injuries, so she should keep her puppy away.

Then she let her puppy come near Beckie, but the 5 1/2 months old puppy had no manners and Beckie was trying to teach him how to behave, which scared the woman. I tried to explain, again, that Beckie was just teaching him and that she wouldn’t hurt him but she took the puppy away and missed a great learning opportunity for him. Oh well, at least I tried. I feel sorry for this woman, she seems to be making every mistake in the book with her puppy...

After all the chaos, and Beckie feeling the relief of having her glands emptied, we walked to the pet store near by to get well deserved fresh air !

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh my goodness, what a day! I think doodles are nuts because there is no consideration for temperament when most of them are created. They just throw any old Lab or Golden with a poodle and cash in on the puppies to clueless people who want to fit in with the crowd. Doodles used to be considered status symbols (hahahaha), but they don't seem to be anymore as they end up in shelters and Craigslist.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Your vet's office should have had those dogs wait in a separate room and not let them terrorize everybody in the waiting room. I would have spoken to them about it. If they didn't have a room to put them in they should have asked them to wait outside in their car. Dogs have enough bad associations with going to the vet without having it start before they even get into the waiting room.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Your vet's office should have had those dogs wait in a separate room and not let them terrorize everybody in the waiting room. I would have spoken to them about it. If they didn't have a room to put them in they should have asked them to wait outside in their car. Dogs have enough bad associations with going to the vet without having it start before they even get into the waiting room.
I agree! That's nuts! Same for aggressive dogs.

I feel like a lot of doodle owners are first time dog owners and expect their dog to be the big teddy bear it looks like. They don't enroll in obedience classes or do their research. Lab or golden puppies can be a real handful, in different ways than poodle puppies are. When you mix those two...... you can end up with a really difficult dog! But I have met the rare one that was a very nice and lovely dog.

·
Premium Member
23,200 Posts
What everyone else said. And I would never take all of my dogs to the vet by myself, probably not 2 together either anymore by myself. My vet is 30 miles from where we live and about 10 miles from where I work so I would love to pile them all in and go once, but just not responsible. And the worst mannered dogs I know are golden doodles and labradoodles, crazy, nasty, hyper and gigantic the way none of the parent breeds are if from good stock. MF is correct bad joints X bad temper gets a really rotten dog for the most part (there are plenty of exceptions of course, but how do you figure that out when the pup is 7 or 8 weeks old). Not for me.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I was upset and increasingly mad but did not even think about saying something to the staff. Even they were having a hard time, screaming so the owner would hear what they were saying. I think I would have said something if it had kept going on, as it was really hurting me having to hear that incredibly loud barking non-stop.

The owner was sitting in the area reserved for cats, (thank god there were no cats) but the place is small and the cat area and dogs area are merely in front of the other, only a few feet apart. So the monsters had no trouble dragging their owner in the dog area.

If I had been that woman, I would have been really embarrassed at my dogs behavior. At least, I would have taken them separately, leaving one in the car and coming back for it when the first one was done. I’ve seen people do that and it is so much more respectful of others !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts