1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
I think that model could prove troublesome - the narrow wire or cord retractables cut into your hands when you need to haul them in hurriedly, and retractable leashes are dodgy at the best of times, even for just one dog. I walk my two on separate 6' leashes - they are well trained and most of our longer walks are off leash, but I think individual leashes are safer for any dog. You have more control, no buttons to fiddle with, and less risk of the dogs wrapping themselves around opposite obstacles and leaving you stuck in the middle!

Reactions: kchen95

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I much prefer two separate leashes. If something happens along the lines of a loose dog coming up on you the better option is to drops your dogs' leashes and give each of them their own options for dealing with it.

Reactions: kchen95 and Caddy

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I walk my two dogs (12-13 inches each) with one on a retractable leash and the other one on a 6 foot leash. Two on retractable leashes would be a nightmare in my opinion.

This works really well for me but I guess it depends on your preference and your dogs also.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I walk my two dogs (12-13 inches each) with one on a retractable leash and the other one on a 6 foot leash. Two on retractable leashes would be a nightmare in my opinion.

This works really well for me but I guess it depends on your preference and your dogs also.
Actually speaking of that - I'm curious what are the problems that people see with retractable leash? I know the narrow wire kind may cut, but many companies now make soft nylon ones. I've used a Flexi soft nylon retractable leash for two years and have never had a problem with it. And if you just lock the leash at 6 feet, doesn't it essentially turn into a normal 6-foot leash?

Kevin

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I despise flexis and split leashes. For little dogs, a split might not be so bad, but with spoos, I've tried it and it's a BAD idea. They are way too strong and with that bungee action, I can see my already bad shoulder getting ripped out of the socket if they lunged at a squirrel or something.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
I think the big problem with a retractable is that it gives an illusion of control that is just that - illusory - and can therefore be dangerous. The dog can be some distance from the owner, and in an emergency the leash is very difficult to haul in quickly, especially one handed. I have watched too many owners struggling as their large and overly enthusiastic hound bounds around a dozen feet from them, wrapping the leash around anyone and anything and ploughing over everything in its path. They can also be a trip hazard, and dangerous for passing cyclists, who often can't see them. I usually use both hands to hold the leads - the dogs walk to my right, and I hold the ends of their leads in my left hand with my thumb through the loops for security, and release and tighten the length with my right hand, so there is some give and take as they move, or if they stop to sniff etc - very much the way one handles reins when riding. If there is need I can shorten the leads in a split second, or, as Catherine says, drop them both.

I have occasionally used a retractable when the dogs were younger - when visiting places with chickens, for example - but mostly mine are either on leash and walking with me, or off leash and under voice control.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Actually speaking of that - I'm curious what are the problems that people see with retractable leash? I know the narrow wire kind may cut, but many companies now make soft nylon ones. I've used a Flexi soft nylon retractable leash for two years and have never had a problem with it. And if you just lock the leash at 6 feet, doesn't it essentially turn into a normal 6-foot leash?

Kevin
It’s the lack of control. If you weren’t careful enough, or your dog was too quick, it could bolt on the street and get hit, or go after another dog and get bitten, ect.

It’s also harder to pull back your dog since you need to push a button to retract. And if your dog is at the end of the leash, it’s even harder and it takes longer.

I personnally like them but I agree they are not for inexperienced people and/or unruly dogs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok tks for all the replies. It really seems like a big dog vs. small dog issue. It's just much easier to keep and bring a small dog under control. That's why I was curious, as I'd never even thought twice about how/why a retractable leash may be an issue, since I have a small dog that pretty much never pulls - which then also allows me to buy the soft nylon version that doesn't cut.

Kevin

·
Registered
596 Posts
Two things: First your original question: I have enjoyed using the Wacky Walker - splitter - which if my mind doesn't fail me makes any leash into a double - it's basically an extender and it worked really well for my two duos who were well trained and behaved would walk beautifully next to each other without any hassle.
Second - Flexi: I tend to not even get into it because I have been successfully using them since they came out - in the 70s in Germany. Never ever use the string ones - those are indeed dangerous, but when it comes to the tape ones I have successfully walked everything from a Great Dane to a Yorkie on a Flexi BUT like with every tool there is a huge problem when untrained people hook them onto untrained dogs. A poorly trained dog on a Flexi with an incompetent handler is like the perfect storm. It takes practice to handle a Flexi - it is not rocket science but it is a bit like Lasso training - until you know what you are doing, you look like a fool with a bit of rope... same goes for the dog... an untrained dog will not develop great leash manners on a Flexi and needs training - lots of it - on non-Flexi leads before it should ever be allowed to use a Flexi.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
My problem with the retractables is that I have grip problems sometimes, and even my minis can pull it out of my hand. Not only are they loose when that happens, but it startles and scares them when the hard handle hits the walkways.

I have used a splitter and like it well enough, but generally go with 2 leashes. I usually have both leashes in the same hand, with the handle loops around my wrist and holding the leash lines in hand. I use a longer leash so I keep some length looped to play them out and reel them in, as needed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been on a long quest of finding the perfect double dog leash, unfortunately I haven't found one yet.

I've tried the bungee cord one, but I find that my minipoo kind of pulls my tpoo around a bit when they're sniffing things out.

I've tried the kurgo quantum leash https://www.kurgo.com/leashes-collars/quantum-leash/ it's ok, but I find it a little short for walks where I want them to be able to sniff around. I usually use it for when I want them to be heeling by my side.

Retractable leashes I wouldn't even consider, I just find you don't have much control with it. One lady had her two little dogs on a retractable, when her dogs saw my two dogs, they went crazy barking and running towards my dog, she kept screaming at her dogs and pushing the lock, but it just kept going until it reached the longest length. Luckily I was able to move far enough to the side that her dogs couldn't get to my dogs or else I'm not sure what would have happened.

For now I still find two leashes the easiest, even though sometimes it gets all tangled up lol

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts