Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post from me, the newbie :)

So my pup is losing a bunch of his puppy teeth. He is 6.5 months.
Yesterday he lost 2 and today he lost 2. I noticed that his bottom canines are double-banking. New canines growing behind puppy canines that have not fallen out yet. The adult canines look about halfway grown. They are no longer in line with the rest of his gum line. Will this correct itself once the puppy canines fall out?
Another reason why I want to get him neutered asap (see my other thread)
so that I can have these teeth pulled if necessary. 2 birds, 1 stone...

Thanks for any advice!!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
A few of Dutch's teeth did this too and his teeth are PERFECT! Does he have any bones to chew on or toys that you could play tug-o-war with? :questionmark:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh ya.. he has LOADS of toys.. it's ridiculous. We play all day long.. tug o war, catch, lots to chew on and bones galore!
Glad to hear it worked out for your pooch.. hopefully it will on our end here as well. I'd love to hear more advice or stories from the rest of the forum :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And thanks for the warm welcome :)

That's Snoops on my avatar :)
They say dogs look like their owners after awhile.. hehehe

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My puppies had the same problem and I ended up taking them to the vet to have the pulled. They were also having a difficult time dropping their baby molars so they were taken out as well. Their breath was horrible up until the molars were taken out. They did very well and got thier first teeth polishing that day!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My girl, Angel, had the same problem but the baby teeth fell out fine. The adult canines came in almost half way before the baby ones fell out but was no problem at all. I kept an eye on them and the vet would have removed them if need be, but it all worked out well. My dogs always have an assortment of chew items like rawhide, those huge bones and pigs ears to keep them happily chewing and I think that helps. One of their favorite chew items is the hooves on a rope, gives them serious chewing and they last forever.

Just keep an eye on the teeth and if you get too concerned things are not moving along well, your vet can remove the baby ones.

OH, and I LOVE your avatar pic...LOL. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was... due to being a small pic of course, but it is great!! LOL

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My puppies had the same problem and I ended up taking them to the vet to have the pulled. They were also having a difficult time dropping their baby molars so they were taken out as well. Their breath was horrible up until the molars were taken out. They did very well and got thier first teeth polishing that day!
Snoops' breath has been terrible the past few weeks!!! A very fishy smell... you can smell it a mile away. UGH! I took him in for grooming and had them brush his teeth as well. It was better, slightly. Now, over the past few days it has instantly improved - perhaps because his teeth are falling out. Cute puppy breath again!!!

Snoops is so fussy about me brushing his teeth... at best he will let me wipe them down with a soft cloth. The minute I bring the tooth brush out he heads for cover.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
While the new teeth are coming through make sure you wriggle the baby ones. This usually helps to push them out while the others are coming up. You must give plenty of bones which always is a big help. Some K9s are harder to get out if they have a long root. At times a vet will have to pull them.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That is exactly what theirs smelled like! LOL it was probably the molars trying to release. Glad to hear that the breath problem is over, but I would have the vet just take a peek next time he goes in for a visit just to be sure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up these rawhide chews made by Hartz called "Dentist's Best".
They have "dental shield" which apparently blocks tartar, and when chewed on breaks down existing plaque and tartar and helps with fresher breath.
So far, they seem to be a great product and the don't upset Snoops' tummy at all, which was an initial concern for me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
While the new teeth are coming through make sure you wriggle the baby ones. This usually helps to push them out while the others are coming up. You must give plenty of bones which always is a big help. Some K9s are harder to get out if they have a long root. At times a vet will have to pull them.
Yes, I forgot I would mess with them and wiggle them from time to time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cuddleparty - I've been where you are. I stressed when Guenna's canines wouldn't come out (I was afraid I'd have to put braces on her) and again when Morgan's did the same thing. With Guenna I played tug-o-war. Got her to take the rope in her mouth & while she had a grip I yanked! We got all 4 canines out in 2 days! With Morgan her adult canines were half way in & her baby teeth felt rock solid. Again... Stress. Well I rubbed her gums a few times again & tried wiggling the teeth (Morgan started not liking me putting my hands in her mouth poor thing). Finally the tug-o-war with the rope is what worked. We got canines & molars out and we weren't even trying to get the molars.

Keep on with what your doing, breath, tell yourself it will happen, breath, play more rope tug... oh and breath... LOL

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Do you use pigs ears in the US? I find they are more affective than the rawhides. I would still give bones cause they are harder and scrape the teeth and the same time. Also will help loosen those baby teeth.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
We do use pig ears here, but all the ones I have managed to find are VERY greasy and not a coog combination with show coat. I found the same problem with alot of the the dentabones as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We do use pig ears here, but all the ones I have managed to find are VERY greasy and not a coog combination with show coat. I found the same problem with alot of the the dentabones as well.
Have you tried beef tendons? They are natural & the kids seems to love them. My folks teeny tiny toys love them so much they go through about 1 each a day. Whereas my girls will take a couple days to totally destroy them. They also don't get slimy & gross on show coats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts