Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start making the hanging doorbells for potty training, mine are bell trained and I LOVE it, sadly, the bells that I used got taken apart by my kids LOL, they were not the kind I will be making. So, I am going to start producing and selling them! I have all the stuff and would like input on how they look after they are done, and maybe some ribbon patterns that you would like to see out there. Boy vs Girl patterns...I am soooo gonna have fun with this!!!!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Awesome Idea!

I need to train moose to do this for when he wants water! He won't drink unless I give it to him and won't ask, same for going outside... I just have to remember.. (He hasn't gone inside for what seems like years). He's over 2... but it would be nice to " know ' and teach him :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'd totally order one from you if you're willing to ship to Canada!! I don't really care what color although I guess I'd prefer for it to match the decor in my house rather then anything with a doggie pattern on it... so that it kinda blends in rather then stands out. Does that make sense? I'd love to see pics :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
We trained our Golden to hit the bell to go outside and gave him a treat when he came in. That was the wrong thing to do . He learned very quickly to constantly hit the bell so he would go out and come in for his treat. He drove us NUTS! Don't use any form of treats!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
We trained our Golden to hit the bell to go outside and gave him a treat when he came in. That was the wrong thing to do . He learned very quickly to constantly hit the bell so he would go out and come in for his treat. He drove us NUTS! Don't use any form of treats!

Haha that is good to know!

·
Registered
104 Posts
What do you do when...?

My 5 month old puppy is bell trained. She picked it up in a day. However, there are times when she rings the bell just to get attention or if she wants to play. We want her to use it for the right reasons but we don't want to discourage her from using it at all. I'm afraid if we ignore it when we know she's just playing, she may stop ringing it when she needs it. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I doubt that! Poodles are SMART, and by you ignoring her using it for play (and still paying attention for when she is using it for the right reasons!), she'll learn it only works when she needs out and it doesn't work for play!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We bell trained everyone BUT the poodle (he is too short to hit our bell, must find remedy, as he doesn't tell me he has to potty!). TQ, the terrier mix, rings when she just wants to go outside and snoop/eat poop. I know when she needs out and when she is lying, and tell her no when she doesn't need out. She will usually stand there, ring it again, and then walk away in a bad mood. She also acts completely different when she needs to potty... And rings the bell urgently, rather than just testing us.

Just show your baby when she rings the bell to potty, so goes potty. I would say if she rings it and doesn't go potty, confine her like you would do any other potty training puppy until you feel they need out again to really potty. Show her the bell is business, not pleasure.

Sorry if there are typos, or things are worded weird... I am on my phone and it isn't much for showing me the big picture!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dogs are all bell trained and I love it. My weiner dog Dolce will ring the bell if she sees Ginger waiting out side, so I will come and let her in. lol. They all picked it up quickly works great!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine is simular. They are called pochie bells. They look a lot like big jingle bells on a wide ribbon

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We stock up around this time of year with door bells made for the holidays. It has a ring that fits over the handle and bells (for that authentic santa touch? Lol). I got three at Target for like $1.50. They'll probably last the year, and I will buy even more next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts