·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stunned by the scope of this operation.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
A friend met someone with one of their puppies and since she knows I want a poodle, she sent me a link. She's thinking of getting one and I explained why I would not. Ever.
Good on you!!!! The latest fad near me are bernedoodles. Just ugh. I think they have the most unappealling heads. I have a client dog with one and I like him. He is turning into a very nice dog after spending his first year in COVID isolation. Across the street neighbors have one and I don't see any poodle in this dog who is also a COVID socialization pup. The children (2 little girls) much prefer playing with Lily than their own crazy puppy.

I mean, how does a Newfie/Poodle or whatever they are called even WORK?
I can't imagine there is any useful purpose to be served in this cross other than to shorten the lifespans since I imagine that newfis as giant dogs and not necessarily known for long lifespans (correct me if I am wrong on that). It strikes me that the musculoskeletal structure on a cross like this has lots of potential for disabling outcomes.

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,563 Posts
I talked my boss out of a doodle, they now have a Bernese mountain dog who is 17 months old 120 pounds. A slobbery, hair ball sweet boy who is just getting out of that terrible teenage phase. I would hate to see giant breeds mixed with poodles, that would be a train wreak health wise.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Zephyr was in beginning obedience class with a Newfie/Poodle, and we still meet them regularly out in the park. He is a nice enough dog, but I don't see the attraction--or any hint of poodle in his appearance or temperament. He is a big, slow, clumsy, good-natured dog, and his owner loves him. I guess that's what counts.

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,563 Posts
Good on you!!!! The latest fad near me are bernedoodles. Just ugh. I think they have the most unappealling heads. I have a client dog with one and I like him. He is turning into a very nice dog after spending his first year in COVID isolation. Across the street neighbors have one and I don't see any poodle in this dog who is also a COVID socialization pup. The children (2 little girls) much prefer playing with Lily than their own crazy puppy.

I can't imagine there is any useful purpose to be served in this cross other than to shorten the lifespans since I imagine that newfis as giant dogs and not necessarily known for long lifespans (correct me if I am wrong on that). It strikes me that the musculoskeletal structure on a cross like this has lots of potential for disabling outcomes.
You aren't wrong on shortened lifespans of the giant breeds like Mewfies and Bernese Mountain dogs

·
Registered
630 Posts
Wow, I agree the scale of that operation is amazing! I have a friend with a sheepadoodle and she is a great dog but huge. Bigger than poodles or OES. They are getting another one that is supposed to be part mpoo to stay smaller. I just don’t get it…
I’ll stick with my Spoos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's a bizarre mix They also have Great Pyrenee/poodle mixes...
I once knew a very attractive dog. No idea what the mix was until the owner told me: Shiba Inu Shih tzu. I would never have guessed. Then I saw photos of littermates and they were ALL very different.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bottom line: "why" = $$$$

Breeders make bank. As long as people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a "designer" mix, others will continue to produce them. Not the reputable breeders don't make $$, but at least they put most of that $$ back into their breeding program (health testing, show/titles, etc).

People will continue to buy these dogs for a number of reasons. Ignorance and hype - "next new breed", "highly popular new breed", "best of both breeds", "hypoallergenic". Status - "it cost thousands so it must be worth a lot, if i have one that means i make a lot of money - everyone will see that and think 'wow'". Television. Word of mouth. "If this star has it, or it was featured in this big movie, then it must be the "in" thing."

There is no conceivable reason why some of these mixes are being produced. None. I mean, why Husky/Poodle? Why Bernese/Poodle? Why Pug/Beagle or Dachshund/Chihuahua? They serve NO purpose. And some of the traits contradict one another. Genetic disasters, is what they all are.

From what i remember, the original doodles were a project started by someone looking to create a better service/working dog. What he was hoping to create that he couldn't find in another recognized breed, i don't know. But he failed to produce the traits he wanted in any kind of predictable or repeatable way so he gave up the project. He has since spoken out against the doodle/oodle/poo breeding craze and regrets that he started it, even if he did so for an actual legit reason (though again, what traits he was looking for and why he couldn't find them in an actual recognized breed i don't know.)

So... there was an original purpose, of sorts. Now it's mainly profit. Status. Ignorance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I worked in a vet clinic for over 20 years. I can't say that I saw 'most' of these designer breeds. I saw a few bought through websites etc and even though the designer bit was supposedly the same, two dogs never resembled each other. I saw quite a few Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. Not scientific of course, just my observation but I saw a lot of weird cancers in very young goldendoodles.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When my family was getting Whiskey, we are almost persuaded to get a doodle (bernedoodle, sheepadoodle, labradoodle, goldendoodle). Basically we were being told that a spoo was a toy in a large package (ie barky and neurotic) and that they were too rare in our country. He came from a shop (yes a shop, unfortunately breeders here mean home /backyard breeders) that has all those combinations of poodle and then those which are doodle crossed to another doodle.

Whisky was $8k after negotiating from $10k. The doodles were all >$10k except the one labradoodle with wiry hair. If not for the fact that I was so stubborn, we would have walked away with a doodle which had a coat color my dad liked (we really did not want an apricot nor a boy). Sometimes people may not have the option of a purebred. We were lucky that Whiskey came in at that time.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.