Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 82 Posts

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Would you ever consider buying a puppy from a breeder thats producing standard poodles AND "labradoodles"?

I personally detest the word "labradoodle" so I fondly refer to Neko ((our "labradoodle")) as a lab/poodle mix

But could a breeder who is producing these mutts still be considered a good breeder, if their standard poodles are AKC champions and what not?
Absolutely not !!!

· Registered
2,062 Posts
I expect my breeder to be heavily involved in the fancy and no one who really loved Poodles would want to throw Goldens or Labs into the mix.

For the last 5 years, I have lurked on various Doodle breeder forums to keep abreast of the Designer Dog fad. I have yet to see a Doodle breeder who really knew anything about Poodles. They may use them in their breeding programs, but they don't know about correct temperament, structure and they are completely in the dark about health issues.
That is scary to think about. Isn't it ! ?

· Registered
2,062 Posts
I actually had a lady get angry at me because i would not sell her a dog she bred Labradoodles. she pointed out to me that they were trying to improve the breed and were looking for gentically tested poodles. She asked if I knew how breeds got started and that she was trying to get them recognized by the AKC. She explained that she was on the ground floor of this project OMG . At least she was honest . The amount of breeders out there that are involved in Doodles either by alowing their stud to be used or selling them a dog or just plain flat having done it in the past is ghastly .. I refuse to get involved in any way whatsoever !
IM IN SHOCK BY THE AMOUNT....

· Registered
2,062 Posts
I think if my little sister had her way she would buy another doodle as a pup
Neko is her dog and she loves everything about him, but with my constantly harping in her ear she ((hopefully)) won't ever buy a doodle from a breeder

I'm trying to convince her poodles are far superior xD

Bigred, it is pretty shocking it crosses ALOT of breeders off my list
mainly the ones in my area
I can't find ONE breeder within a 150mi radius that breeds standards, that doesn't have at least one doodle they breed
most have labradoodles and goldendoodles, and who knows how many other concoctions in their kennels
To me this is sickening as it is done with dogs that were perhaps sold on limited spay neuter. Or it is just basically done for money I can find nowhere that someone has said that they "Improved" The poodle by crossing it with a lab or a golden.. I happen to think that the reason that EVERYONE wants to cross with the poodle very interesting HMMMM....Could it be for the smarts that the poo affords? There have many contact me that i actually have a statement on my website. That says dont bother we are not interested....

1 - 5 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.