Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you ever consider buying a puppy from a breeder thats producing standard poodles AND "labradoodles"?

I personally detest the word "labradoodle" so I fondly refer to Neko ((our "labradoodle")) as a lab/poodle mix

But could a breeder who is producing these mutts still be considered a good breeder, if their standard poodles are AKC champions and what not?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I, personally, would not produce mix anything with our spoos. Our goal is to produce poodles to the standard. Again, people will buy what they desire and there will be breeders to supply that market. We will not be one of them.

This may sound odd but I have no problem with people who want mixes. That is their prerogative. It is the latest fad and will eventually be replaced with another but the pure poodle breed will go on.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Would you ever consider buying a puppy from a breeder thats producing standard poodles AND "labradoodles"?

I personally detest the word "labradoodle" so I fondly refer to Neko ((our "labradoodle")) as a lab/poodle mix

But could a breeder who is producing these mutts still be considered a good breeder, if their standard poodles are AKC champions and what not?
Absolutely not !!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
No and No.

Good breeders will never allow that to happen. And what really makes me mad (not that you asked) but the prices doodle makers are making is huge even more than a well bred poodle!!! This one get's me- why on earth wouldn't you just get a poodle?? I think the poodle is under estimated or misunderstood is a better word and their reputation seem to be they are show dogs only and their hair grows in the clips people see - which we know is not true....that's my thoughts.:)

Don't get me wrong they are SO pretty, and would I have one if I didn't have four dogs, maybe but I would rescue or adopt. You can find them in shelters all over.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think thats a great way to look at it Spoospirit :D
people want what they want, there isn't anything we can do to stop it =]]

for some reason though I have this barricade in my mind that I just can't get over
...barricade ...

-Why would someone pay the same amount for a mixed breed when the SAME breeder is selling "purebred" standards for the same price?-

so...on to a further question
do you think that someone producing this mixes might lose the quality of their poodles?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one get's me- why on earth wouldn't you just get a poodle??
EXACTLY
the breeder I was looking at 5 minutes ago
as some GORGEOUS parti coloured standards...I scroll up the page and BAM labradoodles for the EXACT same price as her standards

it like crushed me because I was actually opening my email to start writing to her...but when I saw that...no way v.v;

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I think thats a great way to look at it Spoospirit :D
people want what they want, there isn't anything we can do to stop it =]]

for some reason though I have this barricade in my mind that I just can't get over
...barricade ...

-Why would someone pay the same amount for a mixed breed when the SAME breeder is selling "purebred" standards for the same price?-

so...on to a further question
do you think that someone producing this mixes might lose the quality of their poodles?
I don't think they would loose the quality of their poodles if they, indeed, have quality poodles, tested, titles, etc. If they are offering stud services and a solid poodle breeder is looking, I don't believe they would consider him. They would probably not consider buying a full poodle from them either. I think they will loose the respect of the traditional, solid poodle breeders that put all their labor and love into producing the best poodles to standard that they can.

They pay the money because they believe the hype and have to have this 'new' thing. When they realize that their temperaments are not consistent and they don't fit in with the family the way they expected, they end up shunned; in shelters and what-not. I know this doesn't happen to all doodles but it does happen to most of them.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wouldn't. I see doodle breeding as a cheap marketing ploy, UNLESS the dogs are being bred for purposes such as service dogs, working retrievers, etc specifically for their temperament and ability to perform the task. If they're just being bred to meet the current fad in dog breeding, I would never want to buy from them. If a breeder bred both poodles and doodles, I would be suspicious of their motivations and ethic, and I wouldn't want to buy from a breeder who I didn't fully trust their intentions.

I have nothing against doodles as dogs, I'm sure they make just as good a family pet as any other dog, but I do have something against people who advertise them as purebred, when they are not a breed and do not have a standard to adhere to. I don't understand the point in breeding a dog if you aren't going to try to meet an official breed standard... which doesn't exist yet. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could understand that point,
I did cross those breeders off my list xD

poor Neko ((our lab/poodle)) was a throw away
this woman thought breeding her standard to a lab was a BRILLIANT idea and a HUGE money maker
she never thought of the care that goes into raising a litter of puppies, so Neko was thrown into a shelter then adopted and thrown into another shelter...a few times until we saved him ^_^ ((one home thought they could breed him to their mongrel for "cuter" pups...who all ended up in the same shelter he was in))

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I could understand that point,
I did cross those breeders off my list xD

poor Neko ((our lab/poodle)) was a throw away
this woman thought breeding her standard to a lab was a BRILLIANT idea and a HUGE money maker
she never thought of the care that goes into raising a litter of puppies, so Neko was thrown into a shelter then adopted and thrown into another shelter...a few times until we saved him ^_^ ((one home thought they could breed him to their mongrel for "cuter" pups...who all ended up in the same shelter he was in))
This is a horrible story and such a sad statement on what greed will drive some people to do. I'm so happy for Neko that he found a good, forever home with you.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was REALLY sad, Neko was in a horrible state when we got him
but hes flourished in our home
hes all clean and curly now ^_^
and Elphie just adores him ((and he her : D ))
so it all worked out for him

·
Registered
82 Posts
"UNLESS the dogs are being bred for purposes such as service dogs, working retrievers, etc specifically for their temperament and ability to perform the task."

I don't understand this. Aren't poodles smarter than a lab or golden? What trait or temperament do service dogs need that poodles lack?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
We can yell all we want - poodle has a "stigma" and "stereotype" attached to it and nothing will ever change as long as they have to wear "wigs" to win LOL

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
speaking of yelling xD
I sat watching Animal Planet yelling this evening v.v;

They were BRAGGING about their mutts =\
and the "experts" were like...condoning it
"All the best qualities of the poodle and lab :D"
>.>

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just "fantastic" - exactly what we need - promotion of mass production of mutts that end up in the shelters :fish:

Maybe we should write a petition to Animal Planet - just completely irresponsible to do something like that :smow:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
No, i do not think a good breeder would breed mixes.

I watched that show tonight too, and i was going No, No, No! the whole time (all the while telling Riley he was better, and why settle for less :D). Some of those dogs are just plain Unattractive!! Im going to duck and cover after i say this, but i actually Like some goldendoodles. I have met a couple, and i really liked them. They were the really tight poodle coat (not the wavey golden coat), and super sweet. All the labradoodles around here are wirey and crazy.
On the labradoodle segment on the show a family was showcased where they have a boy with very bad asthma. They were saying how they were never able to have a dog until they found teh labradoodle. Yes, yes just completely forget the origional breed you can thank for the no shedding part. :rolffleyes:

I was on another board where we had a discussion on labra/goldendoodles. They actually brought up some points i had to consider with the breed (bad breeding/breeders aside). As far as the service dog part yes poodles are smarter, but alot have too many temperament problems to be good service dogs. One person on the board actually trains service dogs, and she loves poodles, but many dont pass the tests. Most are just too one person dogs, and dont do well with Having to accept everyone/everything ALL the time.

As much as i Majorly prefer the poodle, alot of people like that stocker look you get with the doodles. Yes, we all say you can not shave the face, but that is not the only thing. They want that scruffy, stocky, lab like dog. I dont. Like i said, taking bad breeders out of the equation, the breed has its nitch i think.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
that's really sad.....what about the ones that express the bad qualities. They don't all express the intelligence of the poodle and they don't all have the good nature of the golden retriever or the Labrador. I always seem to see photos of the 'good looking' ones (and some are truly beautiful to look at) when I do a search but i have seen the unfortunate ones that only a mother could love in looks and are totally out of control in temperament. And some will love them; but many will be shunned. There simply is no guarantee of what you are going to get in looks or temperament when a poodle is crossed with a golden or a Labrador.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I yelled at the screen during that part too!!!
asthma...so they went with a "2nd generation labradoodle"
I was like Elphie...some people SOME PEOPLE >:O
she looked at me like I was retarded v.v;

I know a family in our neighborhood who have standards ((the standards that made NEED one xD))
their daughter BOUGHT a labradoodle and almost broke this poor old couples heart xDD
they were over to our house the other night for dinner and they were complaining about her "mutt of a dog" lol

compared to Elphie, neko is WAY more mellow...but I don't know if thats more of where he came from or the "breed"

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
We can yell all we want - poodle has a "stigma" and "stereotype" attached to it and nothing will ever change as long as they have to wear "wigs" to win LOL

This is also sad. I was stunned when I first learned that owners/handlers were putting wigs into the poodles' topknots. I would not consider it a win if I had to resort to placing wigs on my dogs. It's just so unethical.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts