Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LABRADOODLES - Kennel Reduction Sale | Benton | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 3254320

'Kennel Reduction Sale due to Health, Several young 5 month to 2 yr old puppies & adult dogs, my loss is your gain!

Several proven breeders ready for STUD, Also females ready to come in heat, call for more details! Mini's, medium's and standard size available.'

Ugh, why do I look! (I looked because someone nearby had a litter of red spoos, & I wanted to look...) But argh. The only loss is the dogs'. I just know Bella came from somewhere like this. My poor Boodle.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^` }
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^` }
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

I think this says it all! Where did you get this?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Well, as with everything, there are two sides to every story.

My son had told me he wanted a dog. He wanted a big dog. He loved our Golden but he didn't want a dog that shed so much. He doesn't have a partner and while he has a good job, he doesn't of course have two incomes and he also has a 16 year old daughter. At first he said he'd like an Airedale but they were too expensive for him. I found Portuguese Water Dog puppies near here - but they were $1,900.

Then I saw an ad for Goldendoodles and suggested that to my granddaughter. They were near where we live and he decided to get the smallest black male - $700. And that was a price he could afford. So last August they got the puppy.

Cooper is a lovely, lovely dog. He is really smart. He was quite hyper when he was maybe 5-7 months old but he is well behaved now. He comes here quite often when my son is at work. He gets along with my Shih-tzus. My husband and I enjoy having him. He chases after the ball and investigates things in the yard.

I am probably in agreement with the stupidity of crossing every different kind of dog together and calling them "designer dogs" when really they are just mutts. However, that being said, if people didn't want these Goldendoodles/labradoodles whatever, then the breeders could not be selling them for $2,700 which I have seen on the Internet.

I have decided to get a Miniature Poodle. I think in our late 60s that a big Standard is probably too big -- but that would be my first choice. But I tell you -- I have been very, very tempted by a Goldendoodle and one of things that put me off was the price!! My registered pet poodle is costing $800 and you can't find a small Goldendoodle for that price. One criticism at my kennel club was that Goldendoodle breeders do not do health checks -- but some definitely do.

It seems to me that I have read that Standard Poodles have some relationship with or were created from Portuguese Water Dogs and Irish Water Spaniels. Lots of today's purebred dogs were "created" using various breeds. So it seems a bit hypocritical to look down on a Golden or Labradoodle as being a "mutt" when in fact - at some point in time a Poodle was a mutt too.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Well, as with everything, there are two sides to every story.

My son had told me he wanted a dog. He wanted a big dog. He loved our Golden but he didn't want a dog that shed so much. He doesn't have a partner and while he has a good job, he doesn't of course have two incomes and he also has a 16 year old daughter. At first he said he'd like an Airedale but they were too expensive for him. I found Portuguese Water Dog puppies near here - but they were $1,900.

Then I saw an ad for Goldendoodles and suggested that to my granddaughter. They were near where we live and he decided to get the smallest black male - $700. And that was a price he could afford. So last August they got the puppy.

Cooper is a lovely, lovely dog. He is really smart. He was quite hyper when he was maybe 5-7 months old but he is well behaved now. He comes here quite often when my son is at work. He gets along with my Shih-tzus. My husband and I enjoy having him. He chases after the ball and investigates things in the yard.

I am probably in agreement with the stupidity of crossing every different kind of dog together and calling them "designer dogs" when really they are just mutts. However, that being said, if people didn't want these Goldendoodles/labradoodles whatever, then the breeders could not be selling them for $2,700 which I have seen on the Internet.

I have decided to get a Miniature Poodle. I think in our late 60s that a big Standard is probably too big -- but that would be my first choice. But I tell you -- I have been very, very tempted by a Goldendoodle and one of things that put me off was the price!! My registered pet poodle is costing $800 and you can't find a small Goldendoodle for that price. One criticism at my kennel club was that Goldendoodle breeders do not do health checks -- but some definitely do.

It seems to me that I have read that Standard Poodles have some relationship with or were created from Portuguese Water Dogs and Irish Water Spaniels. Lots of today's purebred dogs were "created" using various breeds. So it seems a bit hypocritical to look down on a Golden or Labradoodle as being a "mutt" when in fact - at some point in time a Poodle was a mutt too.

You make a good point here. All breeds were 'created' from crossing to others. Many years of work and dedication with ethical breeders all working toward a standard.

I see the problem here to be more a case of people jumping on the band wagon for profit than a program to develop a particular breed based on standards that need to be met, etc. I am not saying that there aren't any ethical people out there making an effort but I haven't heard or seen anything as of yet that would prove this.

Health testing the dogs is fine but how do they know what to test for as each breed has their own health problems? Right now, I can't imagine that the breeders of these dogs can guarantee anything as far as health or temperament. They cannot even guarantee what the puppy will look like.

The reason we stick with the standard poodle is that we know exactly what to expect for temperament, what to test for for health issues, what coat type to expect, and what kind of care will be involved with them.

I'm glad that the dog your son got turned out to be a good one. I hope you find something that suits your family situation.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I totally agree. There are "kennels" out there breeding Lab/Golden/Wheaten/ Poodle -- you name it - they breed it. And they are doing it for the money.

At least the breeders of Golden or Lab Poodle crosses had a reason for doing it. They wanted a cute looking dog that had the traits of the Golden and the non-shedding traits of a poodle.

But I still think that there are ethical breeders of ONE cross and that they are trying to test things that poodles and Goldens are subject to and all they are trying to do is what Poodle breeders did years ago when they were developing the breed.

On the other hand, I have seen on our local computer ads - cross between a Coton and a something or other; a cross between a Norfolk Terrier and a something or other - another small dog. Why would you get a rare breed and then breed it with something else? I have a feeling that they get any old dog, any old breed and breed it to any old other breed perhaps one that happens to be handy.

Just lately on those ads I saw one for an apricot Standard poodle. Usual thing - changed my job and don't have time for him. The ad disappeared for a couple of days and I was hoping he found a good home but then it was back again. I feel sorry for any dog shuffled from pillar to post like that.

I think that perhaps where I live in Canada, Golden or Labradoodles are extremely popular and so you never find them at the Humane Society shelter. What you find at our shelter are Rottie/Shepherd crosses or Staffie something crosses.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not a case of Doodle hate, I like the one next door fine- just, the breeder- the poor, ugly 'stud dog'... ironically, the designer dogs episode of 'Dogs 101' is on now.

We've got our share of BBDs ond Staffies etc, but you can find doodles here cheap enough (market glut in north central tn/ lower ky?). It's the chiweenies & bitty oodles and orkies that go for the big bucks here.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I grew up with mixed breeds/ mutts and we got them all from the shelter. Most of them were great dogs. My problem with the doodle business is the fact that they're bred randomly, "I have a cute poodle, and you have a lab, let's make labradoodles and get rich!" The buyer pays an exhorbitant amount of money, and is told that the dog will have the coat of a poodle and the temperament of a lab. He goes home and introduces this mix to his daughter who's allergic to pet dander. They soon discover that the puppy does shed, does have pet dander, and inherited its coat from the lab instead of the poodle. The puppy then goes into the shelter because the daughter is allergic.

Check out this ad for a goldendoodle puppy for example. Notice that they're promised low to no shedding. Then check out the pictures. Really, does this puppy have poodle fur. Definitely not.
ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.

And one on petfinder. At least from a rescue they're honest about the shedding and allergies. Seriously, take a look at petfinder and type in poodle. Most of the dogs that come up aren't purebred poodles. Most of them are mixes of some sort.
Adoptable Black Labrador Retriever: Shivers: Petfinder

They're filling our shelters and being killed daily. Seriously, if you want a mixed breed go to a shelter and rescue one. If you want a purebred, find a good, reputable breeder.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Check out this ad for a goldendoodle puppy for example. Notice that they're promised low to no shedding. Then check out the pictures. Really, does this puppy have poodle fur. Definitely not.
I think it's interesting how they worded the non to low shedding part...

"His mother is a golden retriever and father is a poodle, which means non to low shedding."

If I were to read this literally, it means the father, who is a poodle, is non to low shedding... This is true. So when the new owner of this puppy comes back to them 9 months later and complains about the shedding puppy, the breeder can say, "Oh, the non to low shedding comments was made about the sire, a poodle!!" :doh:

The people I know who have golden/labradoodles love their dogs, and perhaps the coats on these mutts don't shed as much as a purebred lab/golden, but they DO shed some; and most of the ones I know are 75% poodle or better so what's the point? Why not just get a purebred poodle and be confident of what you're going to be getting? I guess I will just never understand the reasoning behind it (besides $$ for the "breeders")

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
However, that being said, if people didn't want these Goldendoodles/labradoodles whatever, then the breeders could not be selling them for $2,700 which I have seen on the Internet.
For many people, the Doodle is a status symbol like an expensive car or designer purse. We have many Doodles in our community and I can almost always predict the type of owner who gets a Doodle. It is usually an upscale family with a dad who thinks that a Poodle will emasculate him. Doodles are really about image so people are willing to pay an inflated price.

Lots of today's purebred dogs were "created" using various breeds. So it seems a bit hypocritical to look down on a Golden or Labradoodle as being a "mutt" when in fact - at some point in time a Poodle was a mutt too.
I feel like Doodle breeders have exploited our breed for their profit. They tell buyers that they are getting the "best of both worlds" but all of the qualities that they tout: non-shedding, smart, easy to train, athletic, loyal, good family dog etc are already Poodle traits. The introduction of retriever does nothing to improve the Poodle. Instead it produces a mix that has an extended adolescence and one that is hyper, impulsive, mouthy and over-all less tractable than a Poodle.

I feel like the general public has been sold a lie. Yes there may be some nice Doodles out there (heck... most of them are 75% Poodle or more) However, one has only to look at the various Doodle forums to see how much trouble owners have with their Doodles or look at the number of Doodles flooding our shelters (a search for Poodles on Petfinder produces more Doodles in shelters than Poodles) to see that the Poodle-Retriever mix is a problematic one.

People who want an athletic, non-shedding family dog would be better served to get a purebred Poodle.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
For many people, the Doodle is a status symbol like an expensive car or designer purse. We have many Doodles in our community and I can almost always predict the type of owner who gets a Doodle. It is usually an upscale family with a dad who thinks that a Poodle will emasculate him. Doodles are really about image so people are willing to pay an inflated price.

I feel like Doodle breeders have exploited our breed for their profit. They tell buyers that they are getting the "best of both worlds" but all of the qualities that they tout: non-shedding, smart, easy to train, athletic, loyal, good family dog etc are already Poodle traits. The introduction of retriever does nothing to improve the Poodle. Instead it produces a mix that has an extended adolescence and one that is hyper, impulsive, mouthy and over-all less tractable than a Poodle.

I feel like the general public has been sold a lie. Yes there may be some nice Doodles out there (heck... most of them are 75% Poodle or more) However, one has only to look at the various Doodle forums to see how much trouble owners have with their Doodles or look at the number of Doodles flooding our shelters (a search for Poodles on Petfinder produces more Doodles in shelters than Poodles) to see that the Poodle-Retriever mix is a problematic one.

People who want an athletic, non-shedding family dog would be better served to get a purebred Poodle.
IA!!

This is the reality and I would not have come close to expressing it better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The silken windhound is an intentional breed, but I don't consider it in the light of the doodle craze- it *didn't* exist already to fill a niche, the breeders are never in it for the money (look for Silken windhounds in shelters- the only ones are under 'borzoi' & not true SWs, just bred at that puppy mill run by Burt Ward in Cali, Gentle Giants), test, are very particular about the dogs' new owners (all are DNA tested, btw), etc.

The whole 'intentional breed' argument is a- what's the phrase, logical fallacy? When the average doodle breeder earns my respect by holding to the same standards as the exceptional Borzoi breeders who created & work with the SW, I'll listen. If SWs ever show up in record numbers in shelters, I'll eat kibble.

Ps Whippet breeders can get pissy about SWs (a whole soi-disant 'long-haired whippet' that had sheltie in the woodpile controversy), but for those who want a small borzoi-like dog that doesn't have thin skin & is less prone to cat-eating than most sighthounds, I think they are a wonderful choice. (Pps 'small' is relative- about the size of my half-grown spoo pup.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts