Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a golden doodle and he really needs prayers. I must say he is one of the best dogs I've ever met. He is obedient (pretty) great in the house, doesn't destroy anything, never has and basically housebroke h himself. He live with 5 children all under 10 years old, he as been poked prodded pulled whatever and just takes it all in stride. Three weeks ago when returning from the groomer (and yes he is well groomed, not one of the matted guys) the groomer mentioned that he had a lump on his inner rear leg and sight it should be looked at by his vet. Well about a week went by before he got into the Vet and now three weeks later he has been diagnosed with stage 5 lymphoma. More lumps began appearing very rapidly. The oncologist says it is a very aggressive form of a cancer and gave him 3-6 months. With chemo and possibly radiation another year. He has started chemo. For now radiation is not an option because of the children in the house, he would have to be boarded as the ongolist said it would not be healthy for her children to be around him with him getting doses of radiation. Today he starts week 2 of treatment. He is only 4 years old.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
How very sad for the dog and the family.

Sad to hear young dogs having cancer.

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
very sad story. hoping for a miracle. but i am also glad the vet is mindful of the need to consider the health of the children in prescribing treatment.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My prayers for their poor Golden will be said. So sad for such a young dog. Goldens are known for being predisposed to cancer........ unfortunately it sounds like this poor Doodle inherited that predisposition. Both of my sons Golden Rets died of cancer, but they were also 'old'............

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts. He really is a good dog, you know with all those small children he had to be. My friends mom also has a doodle from the same litter. And my other friend has two goldnes from his breeder. They both are part of the Morris foundations testing and following. One is 7 has has auto immune disorder and has developed aspergillosis, she already had one surgery for it and it looks like another will be required. Boy or boy so sad.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Awww...that is just so sad. I hate to see such pain and suffering. Losing a dog so young is the worst. I lost one at 4 of stomach cancer. It's like they hardly got a chance in life. My heart goes out to your friends. It will indeed be super hard for the children.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Very sad story.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
So sorry to hear, I hope all concerned find some peace in the time remaining.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update, prayers working. Well it seems chemo is working..after further tests they found his cancer is more treatable than the cancer he was first diagnosed with. He has now completed his chemo treatments and will also start some radiation I am told. You would not know he has been a pretty sick dog, cause he certainly hasn't acted like it. Hopefully he continues to do well. He has been going to a teaching vet school and they have been really good with him and in looking for answers.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh Murfar, that is such encouraging and happy news. I will continue to hold him in my thoughts for continued improvement. It's so nice that he seems to feel better. I've heard that...that chemo on dogs doesn't bother them as much as it does us. Lots of good wishes coming that-a-way. :angel:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.